Reversed Polarity Battery Question

mclark302

I have a question about a battery that I have replaced twice, because the polarity changes and it goes to negative six volts. Anyone heard of this reversed polarity issue with a battery? Any help would be appreciated.

JRay

Cartaholic
Welcome to the forum. That is a new one on me, some one should be along shortly with some help, i would like to know also.

gornoman

You can flip the polarity of a battery by installing it backwards in the series chain, but I have not heard of one flipping that was installed correctly.

HotRodCarts

Cartaholic
Make sure it's wired correctly positive to negative. If it's wired with the incorrect polarity it will eventually reverse polarity. Sometimes you can save the battery by running it completely dead then charge it with a 6 volt charger using the correct polarity and it will reverse back to the right polarity...

mclark302

I got the battery warrantied twice so I just picked up another one. I will check the wiring. I see you all say positive to negative so I will check that. How would I know where the positive and negative wires from the actual cart go to? I just want to make sure I got this right. I should find the cart pos terminal and go from there.

JRay

Cartaholic
Yes, start at you main pos and go pos to neg, neg to pos etc, then use a volt meter to make sure you have 36 volts.

COPB

Cartaholic - R.I.P.
Well, if you screwed up 2 batteries, it ain't the battery, it's your wiring.
By the way, where were you when we were having so much fun on the Country Club thread. You gotta jump in there, man. :)

COPB

Cartaholic - R.I.P.
Hey, I didn't mean anything. :unsure:
I just noticed that, when we were having such a good time over there, you were over here, posting alone. I just want to let you know that you can jump in with both feet. I need the help. You should see how they gang up on me. :rotflmao:

mclark302

I just got on here yesterday. Just googling around and found this website. Any help is helpful. Going to work on the cart tomorrow night. Got my fingers crossed. Really need this sucker for this weekend. Big race.
Ill let you know how it turns out. Maybe I'll take some pics of the wiring. Thanks guys.

matt75

Your not the only one new at this. I just got my first cart in aug '07 and the guys here are very helpful. Hang in there and dont worry about COPB, the other guys here will beat him up pretty bad for ya. :)

COPB

Cartaholic - R.I.P.
Don't worry Mclark. I know nothing about sparkys and am trying to learn with out actually working on them. I have an old Marketeer but will not buy batteries for it before next Winter. If then. :)