Resistor Coils To Controller Conversion

79star

I have a very old cart that I would like to completely switch to a controller. Can anyone give me a complete list of parts needed and tell me which diagram to wire it after? Thanks in advance for all your help

dougmcp

Sometimes the cost of doing this outweighs selling the one you have and starting with something more current.
What do you have now? Make model and year? Photos always help too.

79star

not sure if I did this right. It is way too cool to get rid of. It seems as though several people have done it, but there is no definative list of parts needed. I am willing to build a harness from scratch. I should say that I am only looking for more reliability and longer run time so I could use a stock controller. Just saying that I'm not looking to go faster or climb mountains. My cart is called a Golfmobile made by Wayne manufacturing in California. Not sure how old it is.

Andy4639

This is just what I suggest buying for it.

Controller of your choice.
PB-6 Pot Box with micro switch for the controller you buy.
Find a old setup out of another cart or fab your own.
F/R and solenoid for the wiring you choose to work with.
You can use Ezgo, Club Car Yahmaha whatever you wish it's all going to be custom anyway.

golfcart001.jpg

dougmcp

That cart is pre 1970 which at over 40 years old, it does have a certain cool factor to it.
I believe that the carts back then were 24v so you can use any type of control device from forklifts, sweepers, manlifts to golf carts. They are probably a series cart that used some type of stepping resistor to vary the speed.
For simplicity, I would find an old junked cart and take all the electrical/electronics from it. If it were me I would look for an old EZGO between 1996 and 2001 that has a series set up with a controller. With that you would have a throttle, controller, F-N-R switch, micro switches and solenoid. You may want to go to 36v with this cart, the motor should handle it and then all the controls would work as well. If you stay with 24v, make sure the controller and solenoid will work for you or you will be buying those after the fact.

Wayne Manufacturing bought Autoette which made Golfmobile in December, 1954 and sold in 1970. Wayne Manufacturing was bought by FMC in 1972.
Here's some history for you:

Autoette/GolfMobile

The Autoette was first manufactured in early 1948 in Long Beach, California (USA) by Royce Seevers. The company was then sold to Blood Sales Co for a short time before being resold to Wayne Manufacturing Co; a street sweeping company who moved to Pomona, California. After some legal problems, the Autoette was then sold back to the Seevers' family, lock stock and barrel in 1958. From then until 1970, they controlled manufacturing, distribution and sales of Autoette vehicles.

The Autoette vehicles were electric cars that came in a number of forms that range from pickup trucks (that could carry up to 1/4 of a ton), cars, and golf mobiles. Ranging from 2 - 4 seats, the Autoette had tiller steering and was powered by an electric motor which drew its power from large 24 volt batteries. Production ceased in the 1970s.

79star

It is currently a 36 volt and it does run, but for some reason I had to skip the third button on the swiper to make it go right. Now it goes from zero to haulin with little in between. Thanks for all your help.

Andy4639

To swap it over shouldn't be to hard. The cost is going to be the main thing. Remember to just hook up what you need. Factory wiring is sometimes a lot more than what you really need. Just keep it basic.