Replaced Everything On My Club Car and Still No Spark

fixture777

This is my first Club Car. The guy I got it from said it had ignition problems. I got it home and it fired right up for about 1 mile. Then it just turns over and I get a little spark now and then. I replaced the coil, the ignitor is new. New spark plug. I checked the micro switches. They seem to be fine. I've replaced everything and still no spark. I dont know what else to do. Can anyone help?

shadowman

First thing is what year is your Club Car? Depending it may or may not have a rpm/rev limiter which has to do with your spark. If its an older golf cart it could have an exitor coil which is at the flywheel so lets start with year and everything that was done. Keep in mind with these electrical parts I have seen many many times a new part bad right out of the box.

fixture777

The year is a 92. I have checked all of the parts with a meter from a trouble shooting manual and everything checks good. The only think that I havent replaced is the rev limiter. I do have a new one but I was told that that probably wasnt the problem. I have 2 coils and I have tried both of them. I have checked the limit switches. If I let it sit for a while and hit the gas with the plug out i can get spark for about 5 seconds then it stops. If I hit the pedal on and off fast I get a spark once in a while.

HotRodCarts

Cartaholic
Try unhooking the ground wire from the rev limiter. If the cart runs with the ground wire unhooked the rev limiter is bad...

barf

When I put mine back together the kill switch wire was grounding out. Also sometimes with small engines the magnito gets too rusty and has to be cleaned. I know that wouldnt explain how you get spark for a while then quits , but that could be incidental.

fixture777

I cleaned the magnito. You talking about the wire from the coil to the ignitor? I unhooked it and ran a wire around the outside to check it before I replaced it. It was fine.

fixture777

I put a new ignitor on and that was the problem.
Now I have another problem. I hit the pedal and it is full throttle even when you just hit it a little bit. Is there something that I can adjust for that?

mayorpc

Check throttle plate make sure it closes and opens and is not loose. Also check if throttle cable moves and is not froze.

Nubs

Cartaholic - V.I.P.
put a volt meter on the battery and start it, when the rpm's come up the number on the meter should go up. 13.5/14v i believe

shadowman

Yes, put cart in maintenance mode put the meter probes on the battery positive to pos negative to neg and with a good battery you should read approx 12.7 volts. Press the gas pedal to start, voltage will drop to approx 11.7 and as you slowly press the throttle pedal your voltage should rise. When engine is maxed out your voltage should be 13.7 to 15.3 anything under 13.7 isn't good anything over 15.3 isn't good. If this is what you find replace regulator its in there with the solenoid.