Replace EZGO Pulser Coil Without Removing Engine

Carryal

I need to replace the pulser coil unit on my EZGO golf cart with the Robin EH 350 engine. Will the flywheel cover and flywheel come off with out removing the engine? It looks like it might? I may not want to try it if the engine has to come out.

Carryal

Thanks Nubs, you are the man. Also I probably ought to mention I'm getting 20 ohms resistance and 200 milliwatts of ac current out of it. (The pulser) According to info I saw elsewhere on the forum I should have 150 ohms or even more out of it and a half volt ac voltage.
Any thoughts about the numbers is appreciated. :thumbsup: :usa:

Nubs

Cartaholic - V.I.P.
i never had a lot of luck with the ohms testing, some would test fine but never work right :dazed: you should be able to slide the pulser out without havin' to pull the flywheel, theres holes in the wheel that ya can stick a socket through to remove the bolts. install with a 0.012 air gap.

SDcarts

How are you, I’m also replacing a pulsar , I noticed you were saying what the gap is , is there another way to gap without gap tool

rbdaves

I have the same question about my ‘99 EZGo with Robin 295 cc EH29C engine. I have tried to remove the flywheel cover to get to the pulser so I can replace it. Cannot manipulate the cover in any way that allows it to clear the fan. Do I have to remove the engine or have I missed something?

SDcarts

No you don’t have to remove the engine , just the cover snd plastic fin . There are 6 10mm bolts . Once that is off there is a hole that you can get a small screw driver n to remove the 2 small bolts .

rbdaves

No you don’t have to remove the engine , just the cover snd plastic fin . There are 6 10mm bolts . Once that is off there is a hole that you can get a small screw driver n to remove the 2 small bolts .
After doing a lot of twisting and coaxing, I got the cover off. Was able to get the fan off and get those bolts off. Thanks for the input.

Rstaley

Cartaholic
When replacing the Pulser, the gap between it and the flywheel must be set. The documentation that I’ve seen calls for the gap to be between .020 and .039 inch. I usually set it just a tad closer than that (like Nubs said) but anyway, the easiest way that I have found is to tape a piece of cardboard over the magnet on the flywheel (after removing the pulser) and then rotate the magnet and let it “suck” the new pulser down on it and then tighten the pulser down. Once it is tightened, I just rotate the magnet out of the way and remove the cardboard. I use my business card to do the trick. It compresses down to about .018 inch and I’ve been using that for years. Good luck, Ron

SDcarts

Thank you so much . I appreciate it . I finally got this one running but now it wants to spit and sputter . I put a new carb in it but it was a cheaper one . I will never buy anything electronic or carburetors from them again . It may cost more but going to a reputable golf cart company is definitely the way to go .

Rstaley

Cartaholic
I sure messed that up! I was thinking of a cart with a magneto (has a magnet imbedded in the fly wheel). I’m thinking that yours only has a “notch” cut off of the edge of the flywheel that the pulser senses. Anyway, the technique will still work. Just put the cardboard anywhere along the edge of the flywheel, rotate it under the pulser, and push the pulser down on it and tighten it down. Then move the cardboard out from under the pulser and remove the cardboard. Sorry about that. Ron

SDcarts

Oh don’t worry there is actually a notch cut out. I have a please help to anyone. I have worked on carts now for 22 years, but mainly electric cause I live in jersey. Anyway this cart is a 1998 ezgo gas. It had electrical issues, I changed it all. The cart finally has fire and starts. But the initial start is crappy. It spits and sputters bad. I replaced the carb and plugs and coil and pulsar. Any ideas? Once the cart runs it runs fantastic but I can’t give it back to customer not starting like it should. Please if anybody can help I sure would appreciate it.

Rstaley

Cartaholic
I’ve worked on dozens of those engines through the years, but even in Florida, where I live, I’ve noticed that you usually have to pull the choke out just for a second or two while starting them. After that, just let it off and everything is ok. I would suspect an air leak in the intake. The air cleaner system is designed to afford a certain amount of restriction to the system, so even without the air cleaner attached, they run way lean (at start up) and start hard until warmed up. I’d take some starter fluid and spray around any possible area where there could be an intake leak and see if the PRM comes up with the spray. If so, you have found your leak. It’s worth a try. Good luck, Ron.

SDcarts

Thanks Ron , my problem is the cart with or without choke turns over forever until finally it spits a little and then starts . I replaced the pulsar coil and generator . Could it be timing ?

Rstaley

Cartaholic
I still think you need to do what I said. The age-old problem is trying to pin down a problem like that to either the ignition, or to a fuel problem. You could easily have an issue with a “weak spark” or an improper mixture. The starting fluid (spray) will immediately help eliminate the spark possibility. If it will run with the spray, go on to the fuel possibilities. If there doesn’t seem to be any leaks in the intake system, just spray it right into the air cleaner and see if that makes a difference. The timing being out doesn’t make sense to me if it runs fine after it gets started. It’s easy to get to where you think everything is perfect, but it still doesn’t work. WRONG! You are just overlooking something. Good luck, Ron.

Molly

I'm having similar issues with a 2001 ezgo. I've replaced the ignitor and the ignition coil and still no spark. I'm getting almost 12 volts on the primary side of the coil but no spark. I put a lift on it and I'm thinking maybe that fd up the gap for the pulsar?