Rental Golf Cart Worth It?

Shootrig

Cartaholic - V.I.P.
I have a friend who has a electric golf cart that has been sitting in the corner of one of his shops for a couple of years and said I could have it if I want it. He said it'll likely need batteries and maybe a new charger. He said before it took to sitting that he replaced the charger and it didn't seem to help, so likely the charger may be good - I dunno.

Anyway, what I am constipating on is - taking this thing and getting life back into it and renting it out at the local gun-club I belong to. It'd get the cart back running, (mehh big deal), It'd help shooters out that want to shoot the course that don't have their own cart (no trucks on the course), it'd make it more attractive for the club because they'd be able to accommodate the shooters more better, and it would make me a couple extra nickel's.

My mind thinks thinks
  • How much would a person charge for the rental of a golf cart around the sporting clay's course. it take's about an hour or two to run it?
  • What % would I split with the club for them helping manage the transaction. Remember it will benefit them too, people ask if any are available to rent
  • Any idea what it cost to keep one charged?
  • What about maintenance and monetary upkeep on a lectric one?
I need to run some numbers to see if this is worth messing with but those are my unknowns.

Diode

Cartaholic - V.I.P. Sponsor
check your local area and see what it cost to rent a golf cart at a golf course that would give you the best idea that would be cost effective

Zman

Cartaholic
So, i charge my local gun club $85.00 per day for a 4 passenger. I have no idea what they charge their customers. Also i only use gas carts because renters for some reason don't know how to keep carts charged. Maintenance on electric isn't bad , distilled water once a month and keep tires aired up. Problem would be someone bouncing batteries or breaking steering or suspension parts. I would have a disclaimer the renter would sign protecting you and the club as well as being responsible for damage.

Shootrig

Cartaholic - V.I.P.
so I was thinking about $20 for a round, which takes about 1-1/2 hours, so if it happened to rent 4 times that day it'd be about $80 a day. My insurance company is checking into what the cost would be for me to carry insurance. A waiver is only as good as each parties attorney.

Shootrig

Cartaholic - V.I.P.
Just when the Club is open Wed, Fri, Sat, & Sun. My insurance guy said they were not sure how to price it, he is stumped - which scares me.

HeatWave

'Just searched "insurance for golf cart rental companies" many options turned up, some advertising "50 States".

Many local insurance agents (and their companies) haven't run across golf cart rentals (yet)

Zman

Cartaholic
They have business insurance but that would cost you more in a year than the cart. You have a good heart and i understand you want to help your club but you would have to be the driver at all times to get around the insurance thing and that is not what you want to do. Even that can present a possible liability.