Rebuild or Replace a Briggs & Stratton Vanguard V-Twin

I have a Yamaha G14 golf cart with a 23hp Briggs & Stratton Vanguard V-Twin engine. I need to decide if I should rebuild the Briggs and Stratton Vanguard ore replace it with a Honda or another Briggs Vanguard? The air cleaner mount was bent and it sucked sand. I take it to Glamis and last trip out it quit running on me. Came home and did a little investigating, oil is getting past the rings and fouling my plugs and breather is blowing oil. Took it to a local shop and was told motor is junk. It is a Model 380447 Type 0142-E1 Code 04101311 I have a 1-1/8" crank and length is??? (not removed clutch yet) rather than paying for a tear down and another $1,200- $1,500 to rebuild the V-Twin engine (if rebuildable) I am considering a new engine. Any advice on Honda vs Briggs and where to purchase would be greatly appreciated. Thank You.

Nubs

Cartaholic - V.I.P.
hondas are alright buts theres a lot aftermarket parts out there for the Briggs & Stratton Vanguards. 1500 will get ya a new one dropped at your door :twocents:

WALKNTALL

Definately a Vanguard, and I would spend a few more bucks on a modified one for Glamis. More power = more fun out there... :twocents:

Nubs

Cartaholic - V.I.P.
we got a few from here, ya can save a few bucks and then spend it on cam, carb and head work.

lots of possibility's :yes:

I just purchased a 31hp Vanguard, got to do a few mods for clearance issues based on dimensions i got from the line drawings. I am waiting for it to be delivered to see what i need to do. Will keep you all posted...Thank You for all the input. Happy Carting

COPB

Cartaholic - R.I.P.
Is the tapered shaft the only difference between the $1,000 red engine and the $1,500 black engine, Nubs?

Nubs

Cartaholic - V.I.P.
that link shows it as a 1" shaft, say's its tapped on the end. less i'm missin' somethin?