Question About EZGO Brakes

Sbender

Hey fellas.

I tore apart the brakes on my 83 EZGO 3 wheel cart and have a question.. Long story short seemed the cables were a bit snug so I pulled the pins tried to get spray lube through them freed them up were I could pull them back and forth pretty easy (for old cables).
Now here is the problem hooked them back up even snuggled up the pedal and now it seems no brakes? But I could twist the drum and rock the lever and it wouldn't turn but doesn't seem to stop all hooked back up??? Bad cables or...they are a little pricey but would like to have brakes..
Thanks

HotRodCarts

Cartaholic
Do the cables have slack in them? Is there any free play in the brake pedal? Did you adjust the adjusters behind the brake drums?

Sbender

Adj yes 1 click to the right..no slack but they dont move much when the pedal is pushed even though they did unhooked

HotRodCarts

Cartaholic
How far can you press the brake pedal down? What your describing sounds like the cables aren't adjusted tight enough.

Sbender

I did it normal even tightened it up to where the pedal would barely move and still wont grab ...prob bad cables???

HotRodCarts

Cartaholic
If there's nothing wrong with the brake shoes, everything is installed and working correctly on the backing plates and the cables and brake pedal are adjusted correctly then it's more than likely the cables causing the problem.