Problem with Comet 1190 clutch/crankshaft

ACEGOLFCARTGUY

Cartaholic
I'm having a problem with a Comet 1190 clutch and crankshaft. Today I was driving my workhorse around testing out the exhaust that I built for the 27hp Kawi. As I came to a stop and put the parking brake on with the engine still idling, I look down and to my surprise see the flywheel and fan are still spinning while the clutch is not. IS THAT EVEN POSSIBLE?!?! I have no idea how that could happen unless I somehow forgot to put the key in the keyway before installing the clutch but I'm sure that isn't the case. Also, the clutch is the correct size for the shaft and the installation went smooth.

Is the crankshaft one solid assembly going from the clutch side all the way to the flywheel?

When this happened I was still able to continue on and make it back to the garage. How tight should the clutch bolt be torqued to?

One more question, is 13" the correct distance for the clutches to be apart?

Thanks for the help!
Matt

WALKNTALL

If the keyway is in it would be physically impossible for the clutch not to turn. You forgot your key. No torque spec, just snug it down like any other bolt. 13" is fine if you have a belt that fits it. I like a 12.5" distance on the big blocks.

Frank

ACEGOLFCARTGUY

Cartaholic
I just now put it back together and tried it again. This time I noticed the entire clutch won't stop, its only the side closest to the engine. The other side I saw was still spinning. Does this mean the belt is to tight? From center bolts the clutches are 12 3/4".

ACEGOLFCARTGUY

Cartaholic
I don't have a clear pic of the Kawi engine but here is one of my old cart.
I'm thinking the idle speed may be to high because it looks like the clutch is trying to engage while idling. Just may be one of the factors causing it to stop along with the tight belt. I moved the engine back to get the clutches 12" apart. We'll see how that works tomorrow.

How do you line the clutches up? Do you try and get the inside part of the clutches lined up like COPB is here? In this picture it looks like the alignment would be thrown off when the secondary engages.

Thanks Frank for the help!! Sorry about all the ?'s.

treeman

How do you tell when you have the correct distance from center to center of clutches? I have a 16 HP Briggs, Comet 94C, and 28 degree EZGO driven clutch. I'm using a 45 1/2 inch belt. Right now center to center is 12 inches. thanks

WALKNTALL

Hum, what your explaining doesn't sound physically possible. The inside sheave of any clutch and the bore of it that slips over the crank shaft is one piece. If the inside sheave stops turning the crank shaft stops turning, if the key is installed. You got me, I don't have an explanation for what your explaining. Have you taken the clutch apart? Are you using the cup washer on the end of it?

Treeman, as long as you have 2.5-3" of belt deflection your fine.

Frank

ACEGOLFCARTGUY

Cartaholic
Not sure either. I thought it was a little strange when I saw it happen. The good news is its not doing that anymore after moving the engine back.