Precedent Storage

rhapsody

I will be storing my Precedent Club Car over the summer in the Phoenix heat in my garage. I do not have
an automatic watering filler. I am looking at several alternatives for storage:

1. Disconnect the battery ground and do nothing else after leaving the batteries fully charged to start.
If I disconnect the battery, will I have computer problems when I fire it up in the fall?
2. Top off the water in the batteries and leave the factory charger plugged in for the summer.
In this case, hope the batteries do not run low of water.
3. Gang two 24 hour timers in series with one set for 2 hours of on time and the other for 1 hour of on time.
This should allow the charger to get power for about an hour every couple of weeks.
4. Use a cheap trickle charger on one of the 12 V batteries, which might leak over a bit of charge to all.

Recommendations?

HotRodCarts

Cartaholic
Depending on how long the cart will be sitting I think your best bet would be charge them top them off with distilled water and charge them again. Then flip the run/tow switch to tow and disconnect the main positive and negative cables. In the Arizona heat and the charger left connected it won't take long for the plates to be exposed...

rhapsody

What exactly does the run/tow switch do with respect to the batteries? Also I see a lot of recommedations
for using distilled water. I have a reverse osmosis system in our home, is the resultant water acceptable?

HotRodCarts

Cartaholic
When the run / tow switch is in the run position there's a small drain on the batteries. I'm a firm believer in distilled water for the batteries. It's only $1 a gallon. It all depends on how your water is as far as mineral content...

Fishing Dude

Fully charge batteries then disconect * and - should be fine over summer. Have stored them this way over winter with no trouble. Top cells off with distilled water. On a cart with run tow flip to tow before disconecting batteries leave in this mode till batteries are reconnected.