Powerwise Battery Charger Only Charges at 5 Amps

Patrick L

My neighbor has an older 36v series E-Z-GO TXT that wasn't running right. That problem was just a couple loose connections. The problem now is his Powerwise battery charger doesn't work properly and I can't find the problem. It only charges at 5 amps and I've checked everything that I know or can find. Everything seems fine and I hate to start throwing parts at it. Relay clicks [ jumping it doesn't help], diodes check good, continuity thru all wires/connections, capacitor reading is 1.7.

Diode

Cartaholic - V.I.P.
I basically know nothing about ezgo Is there a capacitor in the charger if so replace it if you have a schematic post it and I’ll take a look the capacitor will give a low-voltage and inturn a low charging amperage You need to check voltage when charging put your meter on the battery pack and plug the charger back in and give me the voltage

Patrick L

OK, I'll have to go to his house and try that. His charger acted the same on my cart. Everything I know to check, checked fine. I hate to throw a circuit board at it just for the heck of it especially since the relay clicks. Everyone says 99.99% of the time with these chargers its the circuit board [ which contains the relay and its the relay that fails]. The capacitor specs are 1.3-1.7 and it consistently reads 1.7. Because the charger does at least turn on and charge at 5 amps my thought was kinda sorta the capacitor too, but it checked OK. Thanks for the response.

Diode

Cartaholic - V.I.P.
It could also be a bad diode there should be two on the circuit board. They will look like large black resistors if one were bad you would get low voltage also

Patrick L

That was my first thought. When they both checked good my thoughts then turned toward the capacitor. I was so certain one was bad I took both off and checked them individually when they checked good together. I'm thinking about a 'rebuild kit' that contains the circuit board, capacitor and diodes. Throwing parts at something just goes against the grain though.