Power Loss After Taking the Head Off a Club Car

wfitzner

While putting a new muffler on, I messed up the studs. So I pulled the head to work on replacing them. Had the carb off the head also. Put it back together and now its hard to start and has a fraction of the power it did. What have I got wrong?

HotRodCarts

Cartaholic
Make sure the air box is sealed tight everywhere. Adjust the valves and if it still doesn't run right you may have a leaking head gasket or the carb gasket. Here's a post that explains how to adjust the valve lash. Adjust the valves with the engine cold.
Club Car Gas Valve Lash Adjusting

wfitzner

I did check air cleaner filter before this probem started so I took air box out and made sure it was sealed. I ran the engine while on jack stands and it seems to start easy and run strong. Will take it for test ride tomorrow and let you know. Thanks

wfitzner

I'm also having a problem with the parking brake not holding. The link to the Kawasaki engine service manual seems to be broken.

wfitzner

I had it out today and it runs better but still slows down a lot when going uphill. What kind of compression reading should I get?

wfitzner

Could I have a drive belt problem? Engine runs good in nuetral and on level roads but runs out of power on hills. What would indicate a bad belt?

ftfixer

sounds as though you may need to adjust the govenor
twocents.gif

wfitzner

I lengthened the accelerator rod and it increased the speed quite noticeably. Such a little adjustment made quite a difference. I haven't touched the govenor yet. I'm pretty happy the way it is.