post burned off motor

tconn

i have a 48 volt yamaha and the post burned off the motor, how can i fix this?is there any way i can fix it or do i have to take it some where and have it fixed?

djlan99

I have repaired these and also on the g-1 starters.

If it is a terminal on the end of the motor (brushes) and not for the stator You should be able to replace it.

As long as the stator is ok you can remove the burned stud and braze or silver solder a new one on.

You can pull apart a 12v solenoid and use a stud out of it or replace it with a bolt. That is up to you.

If you need to remove the stator you will need an impact driver to loosen the screws on the case housing.

This can be a bit tricky. Mostly putting it back together (must be very centered).

If the insulator is melted you should replace that as well.

You could replace the stator assy.

You should be able to find something on line or at your local starter rebuilder.

dougmcp

I would take it to a local starter/generator/alternator rebuild shop, if it's repairable they can do it.

GarageBuilt

But here at Cartaholics we take pride in fixing the carts ourselves... Our knowledge runs fast hard & free !!!!!` No where will you find the help or the know how but here.... If you wish I can walk you through with pic's what to do & what not to do as we fix your motor....

tconn

Thanks for the info, i might see how much my local starter shop will charge to fix it, if its too much,or i don't have anything to do one day :rotflmao: , i might try to do it myself. I found a diagram of the motor and the post that burned off is the one for the brushes,i just hope i can get the insulator from my Yamaha golf cart/newholland tractor dealer.

tconn

I wasn't doing any thing this afternoon so i pulled the motor form the cart and figured what the heck :hmm: ,if i attempt to fix it my self and it works ill save a little money, if it doesn't ill just have to take it to some one. So i disassembled the motor soldered the wire to the new post and started to reassemble,the only problem i have is trying to get the screws into the retainer collar on the end of the armature. what is the best way to do this? :hmm:

GarageBuilt

Good Luck !!!!! It is called hand - eye coordination. You just try to line the three holes up & place the end cap over the washer the best you can....

Dont get frustrated. This will take a few trys. Good Luck !!!! You can do it. :thumbsup:

tconn

I got it :thumbsup: , had to put a longer screw in to pull it up then put the correct screw in the other side then replace the longer screw with the correct one. I'll bolt the motor back up and charge it this afternoon and see if it works.

tconn

So i got the motor bolted back up to the axle, only problem is now my chargers not working :( so i guess ill have to take that and have it fixed. the batteries are dead so ill just have to wait to see if it will work.

HotRodCarts

Cartaholic
Yes you can use a 12 volt charger. Charge each battery for 20 minutes to a 1/2 hour or so, depending on how low they are. I'd check the batteries with a digital volt meter first though to make sure they're dead. You need around 38 volts on a 48 volt golf cart to turn the charger on.

tconn

OK , So i have the batteries charging i turned the key on and pressed the gas and the cart jerked a little so hopefully once its charged everything will be copacetic. i put in reverse and the buzzer didn't come on but i will take the dash off tomorrow and see if its a connection or the switch cause it was a little stiff. :D

tconn

So I got the batteries all charged up, turned the key on, and nothing. I checked all the connections there all tight. :wallbash: When I had it charging I turned it on and hit the accelerator and it moved a little but its not doing a thing now.