POR-15 Rust Preventive Paint

BIGDAWG69

POR-15 Rust Preventive Paint

Anybody here ever used this stuff or anything similar to it? I was thinking about buying a can, and using it to paint my Ezgo frame. Its kind of expensive @ $35 per quart, but if it works I guess its worth it. Any comments or other recommendations for a similar type of paint would be much appreciated.

ccgoingtwin

por-15 my cousen is a body man and used it on his cuta 67 frame and on our first chopper build and i"ll tell you what it sands out like a babys a--
it does a nice job but once you chip it oh boy!!! only if you lay it on thick
but still a good product>. :cool:

Fairlane

Eastwood Products sells a complete kit. Comes with por 15 and the other products to use with it. It's pricey but it WORKS!!!! :thumbsup: Have never used the Rustoleum, it may be as good I don't know.

HotRodCarts

Cartaholic
I use the brush on Rustoleum and it flows out into a nice smooth finish. I've heard the por-15 is real good stuff but never tried it. I'm getting ready to pull the batteries out of my 2 carts to clean the trays up and paint them again. I may try the por-15 and see how it holds up.

matt75

I used Rustoleum on my frame and suspension mixed 80% paint and 20% acetone and sprayed it through my HVLP gun. As long as its mild outside and your surface is smooth the paint will turn out great. Mine could be better but it was about 45 degrees out side and 50 in my garage when I painted. I have a friend that used por-15 on his 56 and 58 dodge trucks and this stuff is impressive. CCGT was right about the babys a--. It reminds me of super smooth powder coating. Ill try it on something some day. ;)

autoteacher

One of my autotech students is redoing an old Dodge 4wd and is using POR 15 on the frame. He started with the rust remover and followed up with the POR 15 coating. It goes pretty far, but as everyone says is pricey. I will atest to how well it works.

COPB

Cartaholic - R.I.P.
Rustoleum is a great product. It has always given me a smooth shiny job just using a brush.
I have heard good things and the same result with POR 15 and a brush.
Another thing to consider is bed liner.

Matt's use of Rustoleum in an HVLP is interesting. I had not even considered that.

30-A rider

POR 15 is a top notch product. I use it to coat floor pans, frame rails etc on old muscle cars where you don't want ugly undercoating. True once its on you can hit it with a hammer and it will not chip. Love the stuff.

Bad side is once you open it better use it all cause once container is open I have found you have about a 30 day window beofre it gets rock hard.

Far superior to any Rustoleum product I have ever used.

COPB

Cartaholic - R.I.P.
Something else I didn't know. Good to know if a person is considering it. That would be an expensive can of paint scum.

mitch_04

If you just scoop what you need into another container then shut your original one, it doesn't go bad in a month. We used it on a 1971 bug floorpan and frame, semi gloss and chassis black, lays down smooth. We used a soup laddle(sp?) to put it into another container, then put the laddle in a parts washer right away, the por 15 cured while submerged in parts cleaning fluid, on a chrome non scuffed laddle! I couldn't chip it off either...its some tough stuff.