Plum Quick 36 Volt Motor Rebuild Review

Otter

Plum Quick 36 Volt Motor Rebuild Review:
I Just added a 7" axle lift, 23' Alltrails and a Plum Quick 36 volt motor rebuild. I gained a few more mph's than stock and alot more torque. The Steens are great people to deal with and they stand behind their products. Highly recommend PQ

OlBoy

Is your EZGO running on stock 36 volts? Stock controller? Can you GPS it and tell us your top speed? The reviews Ive read show the EMP running anywhere from 22 to 25 mph with a 36 volt EZGO with stock controller and stock tires. I would like to compare your speed to the EMP reviews.

Otter

Stock 36v and stock 275 amp Curtis controller. I dont think I'm getting that kind of speed. I'll measure it later and let you know.

Otter

Well, I only got 3 mph more than what I had. It's got more torque than it had. To be honest, I thought I would be getting more. Plum Quick said that if I upgrade to 48 volts I'll get about 22 mph out of it.

When I talked to EMP they said the 2 speed rebuild for my motor would've gotten me that speed at 36v and would've increased my torque too. I haven't decided what I'm going to do. I'm either going to upgrade to 48v or send my motor to EMP.

HotRodCarts

Cartaholic
The EMP motor should get you to 23+ mph with the 23" tires on 36 volts. Your stock motor will run at least 22 mph on 48 volts with 23" tires, so it sounds like the Plum Quick motor isn't what I thought either...

Thanks for posting your results with the Plum Quick motor. I know there's a lot of people interested in how they perform on the 36 volt EZGOs.

gornoman

Another point of reference: my 48v upgrade took me to 22mph on the stock motor and regular diameter tires.

JRay

Cartaholic
Looks like 48 volts is the way to go. I did mine when it was time for batteries, went to 6 8 volt batteries. The cost of the 48 volt charger is what gets you. You can always put 2 more 6 volters in the bagwell and charge seperately. I got my torque back and some speed after the lift and bigger tires. As they say carts are never done.

BadToTheBone

It sounds like the EMP motor may be the way to go for anyone wanting to upgrade the motor only on a 36 volt E-Z-GO. I've seen lots of posts from people who have EMP motors and everything else stock and all ran over 20 mph.

Otter

Pretty sure I'm going to send my motor to EMP and keep my cart @ 36v. I just bought new batterys last march and I am building a custom subwoofer to fit in the bagwell. I'll upgrade to 48v when these batterys crap out and go with six 8 volts.

thanks everyone for the help on this one

JRay

Cartaholic
If my batteries were new i wouldn,t have switched. Those things are too expensive to throw out. i had 3 bad ones so i figured it was time to jump to 48.

COPB

Cartaholic - R.I.P.
If you change over to six 8's, what are you going to run your sound system on? 8 volt, or 16? I know what I would do, I am just curious what others do.

Otter

COPB, I already use an extra 12v marine deep cell for all my 12v stuff so that's what I'll do when I upgrade to 48v.

COPB

Cartaholic - R.I.P.
OK, here is another question. Can you jump that battery into your series of 6's and charge it with a twelve volt charger? I know this is how Gorno jumped his to 48 but I do not know if he used one 12 or 2 sixes, or if you even can put a 12 into the system.

JRay

Cartaholic
I run all the lights on both my carts on 16 volt never had a problem, but i don,t run a radio, horn or anything else, that stuff might make a difference. I know gorno added two 6 volters, find his thread. I tried adding an extra 12 volter, then tried 2 extra 6 volters, big pain in the ass trying to charge that stuff. I finally bit the bullet and bought 6 8 volt trojans and a new lester charger, 48 volt solenoid, 1100 dollars later i am happy, no screwing around plug it in and charge. I will add i didn,t tell the old lady though.

COPB

Cartaholic - R.I.P.
Sure you can run the lights and horn on 16. Just brighter and louder. Another trick is tapping into the center of an 8 volt to get 4 out of it. That is another way to get to twelve. People used to tap into a twelve to get six.

JRay

Cartaholic
Speak for your self, ya old fart.. LOL. We used to buy a good car for the price of some of these batteries.

COPB

Cartaholic - R.I.P.
My first job I made 50 cents an hour. I made more than twice that much at my last job.
That was 2 gal. of gas, at the time. That would be like making 6 dollars an hour today.