Please Help - Hesitation on Acceleration

jimmyzcarts

Thanks in advance for any ideas with this issue!
I have a Club Car Precedent 48 volt. It has a Plum Quick Bandit motor, 400 amp controller, 400 amp solenoid, New Batteries, New cables.
Cart hesitates numerous times as you accelerate, Once it picks speed up it runs fine at 24mph.
All connections are tight and clean. Items replaced to try to cure problem, forward/reverse switch, switch at accelerator pedal, added 400 amp solenoid in place of 125 amp, replaced speed sensor and magnet. Cart has 12' wheels and 23" tires.
I appreciate any help!!!

Tom47

If you floor it from a dead stop does it hesitate on its way up to 24, or only when you throttle up slowly with the go pedal? Do you have an original MCOR2 or has it been converted to an MCOR4?

jimmyzcarts

It hesitates any time I accelerate. The MCOR- I just replaced with original replacement, don't remember a 2 or 4 designation.

Tom47

With all the new items listed, there is little that can cause your issue. If you replaced the MCOR with an OEM one, it is the MCOR 2. Did you buy this from an OEM supplier or is it a generic knockoff one? They are notorious for being less than perfect.

Do you have an Alltrax controller? If so, you can connect a laptop and check the throttle response under static conditions. You can do it with an ohmmeter also. See if there are any jump or dead spots in the MCOR.

jimmyzcarts

I bought the MCOR on Amazon. The controller was on cart when I got it, its shows remanufactured @ controllertestservices.com.
I will drive the cart in the morning to verify the hesitation when I floor it. Thanks you for your help!

Tom47

It sure sounds like a defective MCOR. Can you post a photo or screen shot of the MCOR that you bought? Or take a photo of the original one. I believe it is an MCOR 2 unless a conversion to 4 was made. And let us know the year of your cart and serial number prefix.

Rstaley

Cartaholic
I, as many people who participate in this forum, have worked on many of these models, and the only thing that I can think of that would cause that jerkiness is the MCOR. As Tom47 mentioned, if it doesn’t present the problem when going from minimum throttle immediately to maximum throttle, only in the transition, I can’t imagine what else would cause it. If you were to take the MCOR apart (which you can’t do without ruining it) you would find two things in there. One is a simple single throw single pole switch that acts tells the controller when the accelerator has been depressed, and the other thing is a potentiometer (which is just a variable resistor). The variable resistor simply relates to the controller the position of the accelerator. If you could take it apart, inside you would find a wiper that moves across a strip of material that varies in accumulative resistance from one end to the other. As the wiper moves from one end of the material to the other (as the accelerator is depressed), the change in resistance is detected through its wiring by the controller. Any rough spot on the strip along the way can cause EXACTLY the problem you are describing. Bad MCOR’S are notorious for that. I don’t know why a new one would be bad, but we all go through that now of days. I suppose it is possible that the controller could have some VERY unusual problem with the transition from slow to high speed, but I’ve NEVER seen it happen. Mine have always turned out to be a bad MCOR. Good luck, Ron.

jimmyzcarts

Here are the pics asked for. Looks like cart is an '06.
I have a question...just thinking out loud. I bought the cart with no batteries, installed new of course. Cart has a 48/12 voltage reducer, is there any way that previous owner could have wired it in any way that it could reduce voltage signal from batteries to controller and motor?

Attachments

• IMG_6193.JPG
    IMG_6193.JPG
    182.4 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_6190.JPG
    IMG_6190.JPG
    100.7 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_6191.JPG
    IMG_6191.JPG
    186.7 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_6192.JPG
    IMG_6192.JPG