PDS motor upgrade

mick

Hi guys, I haven't been on in a long time but I finally have had some time to spend on the cart. Next thing I want to do is do a motor/controller upgrade. I was thinking a 500 Amp Altrax with a D&D speed setup like EV drives is showing. I'm OK with the 30% more torque advertised but would going from 36 volts to 48 volts with this set up be worth it for extra top speed?

Here's a pic of my latest bumper I fabbed up the other day.

bumper004.jpg

bumper003.jpg

dougmcp

IMO, 48v is the best upgrade that can be made. With the 500 amp Alltrax with 2ga or 4 ga cables, a $5 speed chip and you may not even need the motor.

06z400rider

dazed053.gif
Doug (Or anyone else who knows): Is it possible to change a 36V PDS to 48V, add a 500 amp controller and 4 ga cables and high amp solenoid without changing the 36V PDS motor? Is it rated for the 48V? If so, would you get more power with this setup or just leaving it 36V and adding a high torque/ high speed motor? Simplified: Better to add a 36V high torque/high speed motor, or add 8V batteries?
dazed053.gif

dougmcp

Yes, it's a little harder on the motor but it will be fine. Your gain will be 30% or more in both speed and torque.
You can do this a little less expensively by adding 2 more 6v batteries and putting them in the bag well. Also if your trying to save money, a 400 amp controller and 4ga cables will work for most applications. With the 48v upgrade and speed chip you should be around 25mph.

mick

Thanks. I've got a pretty new set of Trojan's I can sell here in the hood so I think I'm just gonna move up to 8 volt batts and save some weight. I've got 4 ga cables already. Would I still need a speed chip with a programable 500 amp Alltrax? And in using the Alltrax can I dial down the engine breaking to a minimum? Don't really need it with my extra stopping power with the front discs but I'd sure like to get 30 mph out of it with the D&D motor if it's possible.

dougmcp

My mistake, once you change the controller, the speed chip is redundant.
I would make sure that the D&D motor will give you what you want, 30 is a pretty big push, talk to them first and get some guarantees before ordering.