Painting Plastic Canopy Golf Cart Top

Rico

My current top paint is peeling off on my golf cart as the previous owner painted the canopy. Has anyone painted a golf cart canopy and with what kind of paint would you recommend?

Rico

From what I've seen on web Rustoleum plastic paint seems to be the best product. Looks like the old paint will be coming off easily as it is pretty flaky. Any specieal prep on canopy before spraying with new coat of paint?

Ozzy Dean

Just painted a friends 07 Precedent cream canopy black. Unfortunately couldn't get the Rustoleum Plastic paint here in Oz. Sanded roof back with 120 grit, and used two coats of primer, then 3 coats of flat black enamel with some light sanding (800) between coats. Bit exxy as I had to use spray cans, and very fiddly getting to all those little nooks and crannies, but very happy with the finish - looks like it's straight from the factory.

Now I just have to make sure my friend stays away from low hanging branches. :no:

Spazz

I painted my roof along with my cart so it all matches. You just need to use a proper adhesion promoter in your paint. slight scuff with fine steel wool to take off the shine. Prime and paint.

Attachments

• B8309468-05B9-455F-9F47-B6CA599184B4.jpeg
    B8309468-05B9-455F-9F47-B6CA599184B4.jpeg
    259.1 KB · Views: 9

Patrick L

Cartaholic
I too had an issue. I squirted the cart GM Iridium color and a body shop owner friend wanted to do the top. So I brought it to him and he said the paint needed an additive to make it stick. So it was some kind of adhesion additive, I was thinking like an old flex agent.
Well, it didn't stick. And I'm not about bringing the top from Florida back to New York for him to do over. I just cleaned it up as best I could and used the plastic Rustoleum in flat black. Most don't notice it and its stuck for about the past 3 years or so.

Spazz

Haha I read the whole thread before I realized it's 4 years old
still good to update posts once in a while for future members who are -singing there carts.
I too had an issue. I squirted the cart GM Iridium color and a body shop owner friend wanted to do the top. So I brought it to him and he said the paint needed an additive to make it stick. So it was some kind of adhesion additive, I was thinking like an old flex agent.
Well, it didn't stick. And I'm not about bringing the top from Florida back to New York for him to do over. I just cleaned it up as best I could and used the plastic Rustoleum in flat black. Most don't notice it and its stuck for about the past 3 years or so.
Yes there is an additive flex agent you should use and also an additive adhesion promoter for plastic you should use together in the paint so it sticks to the plastic and will flex without cracking. You also need to slightly scuff the plastic with fine steel wool to remove any mold release agent that may still be on the plastic from the factory. The scuffing also improves adhesion of the paint.