Painting Plastic Canopy Golf Cart Top

Rico

My current top paint is peeling off on my golf cart as the previous owner painted the canopy. Has anyone painted a golf cart canopy and with what kind of paint would you recommend?

HotRodCarts

Cartaholic
I've painted a few with Rustoleum plastic paint and it holds up good. You'll need to get the old paint off or at least scuff it up.
Welcome to the forum. :hattip:

Rico

From what I've seen on web Rustoleum plastic paint seems to be the best product. Looks like the old paint will be coming off easily as it is pretty flaky. Any specieal prep on canopy before spraying with new coat of paint?

Ozzy Dean

Just painted a friends 07 Precedent cream canopy black. Unfortunately couldn't get the Rustoleum Plastic paint here in Oz. Sanded roof back with 120 grit, and used two coats of primer, then 3 coats of flat black enamel with some light sanding (800) between coats. Bit exxy as I had to use spray cans, and very fiddly getting to all those little nooks and crannies, but very happy with the finish - looks like it's straight from the factory.

Now I just have to make sure my friend stays away from low hanging branches. :no: