Painting My Golf Cart

DewDropPony

I have a '97 gas E-Z-GO. I have been wanting to paint it for a long time now. I don't know which paint to use or how to go about doing it. I can't take the body off the cart because it has a back seat kit bolted on to it. Also, I just bought a lift kit for this cart. Would you recommend I paint it before or after I put the lift kit on?

gornoman

If it's a '97, it's a plastic TXT. Go to a local Auto Paint Supply store and tell them what you want to paint. Make sure you mention the body is plastic. They can set you up with the correct adhesion promoter, thinner, primer, and paint. This assumes that you have a compressor, sprayer, and a place to shoot the cart.

If not, it's Krylon Fusion time!

DewDropPony

Yes, the body is plastic. I can't remove the body from the frame because it has a back seat on it. I don't have a compressor. I was planning to use car paint made for painting plastic in a spray can. Yes, I have a place to paint it. I am taping off, and covering with plastic, what isn't going to be painted (i.e. the trim, seats, metal, etc..)

StreetGlide

My 2002 CC IQ has about 50/50 upainted & flat black (appears to be powder coated) aluminum rear seat support, roof supports etc. CC offers (at a "CC price"- about $300.00) replacement parts that I need in flat black. A guy that worked independant cart place suggested that if cleaned of oxidation, dirt and any "grease" type sudstance that the non-black could be painted with "flat black" Krylon Fusion! I remember years ago that painting aluminum required "rice" blasting (vs. sand blasting), all kinds of toxic solutions just to get aluminum ready for priming.

Any experience painting aluminum parts? Your thoughts on painting aluminum with Fusion?

gornoman

I haven't painted aluminum since the late seventies. When I did it then it was to a rooftop ski-rack for my car. I washed it all down and dried it, then roughed it up some with steelwool. Painted it with flat black Rustoleum, and it came out perfect. Lasted for many years until I gave it away because it wouldn't fit my new car.

StreetGlide

Thanks "ya'll"!

Going to take the upper half off extended roof support (bottom half already black) and give it a try.

Again, thanks!