No slow speed, only high

lehde0143

Just picked up a new cart and looking to see if anyone can help with any ideas. Have an '02 Ez-Go Workhorse with the 9HP Robin engine in it. Runs perfect. The problem is it basically has only one speed, HIGH. It hauls butt for sure, but you cannot go slow at all. If you do try to cruise at a slow speed, it is very jerky. It is as if you are on and off the gas very dramatically. Not sure if this is an adjustment issue or if there may be something wrong with a part on the cart. Any idea????? I would really appreciate any guidance.

Nubs

Cartaholic - V.I.P.
i would check the throttle linkage, make sure the butterfly on the carb is completely closed when the starter is first engaged. the starter switch also energizes the ignition.

ftfixer

tip.gif
i agree with nubs sounds like the throttle linkage. someone probably adjusted it to run at higher speeds and didn't worry about low speed driving.
usaflag1.gif

lehde0143

Thanks for the help. I did adjust the throttle linkage in and it helped tremendously. Ended up having to adjust it in a lot. It does not act so herky, but it still engages and disengages pretty drastically but I am wondering if my belt is not grabbing like it should??? New problem as well. Took it out and ran it a while, but all of a sudden ir died, then will not start at all. There is one small green wire that comes from the ignition switch to the solenoid and when you hit the pedal, it sizzles at a spade terminal conection and gets extremely warm. Disconnected the wire and of course the cart does nothing. Don't want to short something out and make the issue worse. Any ideas on the new issue?

lehde0143

Ok well have the cart back running again. Ended up that someone had installed a solenoid to a riding mower and not one that was designed for this application. It was too light duty and went out after only a few runs. All seems to be good now. Thanks for the help.