No Go After Battery Installed Backward

Roseaukaine

OK....I re-wired my cart with 4g wiring (1997 EZ go TXT DCS), and put new batteries in (Pacers).

I replaced one wire at a time from the motor to the solenoid, etc. so I'm POSITIVE that that portion of the wiring is correct.

I made a written schematic of how the batteries were wired prior to removing any wires or batteries. I replaced batteries, and followed the schematic.....no go....ALL wires are tight and clean. My voltage meter is only showing 24.5 volts at the terminals where I connect the cart wiring. The reverse horn goes off when in reverse....that's the only thing that works.

I have no manual.... Any Ideas (PLEASE)
redface.gif
?

rhgc

If you have NEW batteries, it sounds like you might have one or two of the batteries wired in backwards....double check the batteries....make sure all the negative terminals are toward the middle.

gornoman

All of the batteries should be connected in a chain, Neg to Pos to Neg to Pos etc. You may have replaced the wires in the same locations, but if some of the new batteries are spun around then they won't add up to the correct voltage.

Roseaukaine

all batteries are in sync:

1 + - 2 - +
3 + - 4 - +
5 + - 6 - +

Starting from upper batteries, the 1+ is connected to the 2 -
the 1- is connected to the 3+, The 3- is connected to the 5 +;

The 2 + is connected to the 4 -; The 4+ is connected to the 6 -

The cabes from the cart are connected to the 5 - and the 6+

Every Battery was tested individually and read 6.1 - 6.2 volts each.

The voltage meter tested 24.5 volts at 5- and 6+.

Is this correct??
dazed053.gif

gornoman

This doesn't sound normal, but maybe it's the semantics. A picture tells a thousand words....

Roseaukaine

thumbup.gif
I found the problem!!!

On one of the batteries, the poles were labeled wrong. After checking each battery individually, I found that one of them was giving a - 6.2 voltage. I triple-checked it, reversed the position of the battery, made the connections..........
cool.gif
..........and BINGO!!!!!

Who would have ever thought that??!!

I guess sometimes you should question everything!!

THANKS for the help!!! To be continued............................

gornoman

DSC02791.jpg

Any chance it was the center battery in the back row of this picture? You know, the one in the picture that is installed backwards???

Roseaukaine

Absolutely right!! The sticker gives it away. When I was installing them I thought the same thing, but the true negative post was marked positive and the true positive post was marked negative on the plastic case
dazed053.gif

gornoman

I have read discussions of a trusted manufacturer that can have a 10% initial charge failure rate. QC is obviously an issue. All they would need to do would be to mold a tab or notch into the outside case that could be read/detected at the last moment before charging. If it doesn't orientate correctly it gets punched out of line.