No controller

I have aquired a 2005 ezgo shuttle 2+2 cart that has had the controller removed. It has the F&R switch under the seat and does not have the tow / run switch. I know the controller was bad when it was removed but not what caused it to short out.I did have a chance to look at the cart before the owner took it to a shop and I found several loose wires on the motor and f& r switch. When the owner found out how much they were going to charge to repair it she bought another cart and I wound up with this one.My question is where do I start in looking for a replacement controller?I do not have the old one to compare to but it did have 2 large post and 2 smaller ones. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks to the info above I have determined it is a series cart.Should the controller I look for specify it is for a series cart?

gornoman

Yes it should. There are Series Controllers and Sepex Controllers. Motors too. They are not interchangeable.

HotRodCarts

Cartaholic
The series 2+2 uses the same 275 amp controller as a TXT does. I see you asked on BU about the A2 terminal. The A2 is for plug braking. Your best bet is get a controller without A2 and eliminate that cable. A 400 or 500 amp Alltrax would be a good controller for the 2+2 and will hold up well...

Thanks for the help. i have kinda been out of playing with carts for a while but I seem to have stumbled onto a project just waiting to happen. This will be the first electric cart I have dealt with. thanks for the help it is greatly appreaciated!
thumbup.gif

Thanks for the help. i have kinda been out of playing with carts for a while but I seem to have stumbled onto a project just waiting to happen. This will be the first electric cart I have dealt with. thanks for the help it is greatly appreaciated!
thumbup.gif

HotRodCarts

Cartaholic
Basically what plug braking was supposed to do was to slow the cart down when going down hill by shifting the F&R switch to reverse while coasting down a hill. It never worked right and caused a lot of problems so EZGO stopped using it. A 2005 cart wouldn't have come from the factory with plug braking. EZGO stopped using it in the mid to late 90's as far as I know...

gornoman

It is a way to use the motor itself as part of the brake system. From what I understand it essentially allows the motor to spin in the opposite direction than it should. It's not good for ANY of the components, and is no longer used in the industry.

HotRodCarts

Cartaholic
If A2 has one cable hooked to it remove that cable completely. The other end should be connected to the F&R switch. If A2 has 2 cables connected to it you need to make a new cable or bolt the 2 together and tape it up. Your better off without the plug braking and a controller without A2.

Based on what I'm seeing about this A2 and what it does on down hill runs this may be the problem with the previous owner and this cart.She is in her early 90's and I think I can reasonably say that on a downhill run she would let the cart slow itself down instead of using the brakes. Sound like I have the info I need to get started. Thank you guys for sharing your wisdom
tip.gif