no brake lights 2000 club car

mailman401

Bought a used cart (2000 club car) with no brake lights (did not catch it). Probably would have bought it anyway because of the price.

Bulbs look good- not open or blown(double filaments), have turn signals and hazards (I assume they are on the same filament).

Continuity at the brake switch when pedal is depressed.

I could not get a voltage reading at the brake pedal switch switch measuring from the frame to either lead (disconnected them). Seems like one of them should be hot assuming the brake lights are wired to work with the key in the off position.

I only see two fuses: one coming off the charger socket and the other in the rear of the cart. Is the brake light on a seperate fuse? I pulled both fuses but did not continuity check them because I had to repair my meter. They looked good (that is-not blown).

Any suggestions?
Thanks

StreetGlide

Hello,

Welcome!
tip.gif

Not real familiar with break light wiring since mine work, but will try to take some voltage readings when I can.

Real reason for my reply is to warn you that no wiring uses common ground to chassis/frame on golf carts. All accessories has dedicated wiring for both positive and negative. With 48 volts and 12V and possible others depending on cart, you don't want for the circuits to share the chassis as in an automobile that uses 12Vdc for everything with common ground. Not even an antenna mount should be connected to the chassis/frame, nor the radio itself. Just thought, based on your comment about measuring 0 volts between the brake pedal wiring and frame, you might not be aware.

BIGDAWG

there is a relay behind the dash panel. should be on same side as key switch.
listen closely as you turn the key switch on & off should hear click.

BIGDAWG
twocents.gif

mailman401

Thanks for the input.

The relay then would send voltage to the brake pedal switch? Might it be located near and below the battery compartment?

Is there an in line fuse for the brake lights?

I have continuity on both the parking brake switch and the brake switch underneath. Bulbs are good.

I assume I should have voltage on the one side of the brake switch coming from a relay box near the batteries. How do I measure that if it is a dedicated line? I get nothing from the the chasis to the hot side of the switch.

Thanks

Frizbgolf

Mailman401, not to sound like you didn't already think of this but the bulb that is in the taillight now does it have 2 filaments sounds like it could be just the wrong bulb in there if you have continuity and correct wiring.