newbie with some questions

dondiesel444

hi guys. I just picked up a 1996 Club Car 48v for my Grandfather to get around on, and for me to have some fun on!! since this is my first golf cart, I just want to know what I should check out, look out for or fix on it. I don't know much about carts so bare with me! the cart is completely stock, we'd like to at least add a back seat (flip down or solid) and some lights. so where can I get a rear seat? next question, how do I hook up 12v lights to a 48v system? or do they make special lights for the Club Car, just some basic headlights for at night. is there anything else I need to check out on this cart? it runs great, has 2 year old batteries. oh it also has the rocker switch for the forward/reverse, which is one of the things that sold me on it b/c it will be a lot easier for my Grandfather to use than the standard lever on most carts I looked at. ok guys thanks in advance!

JRay

Cartaholic
You can check around at local cart shops for used parts, like rear seats or buy a new one somewhere on line or whereever you can find the best deal.I hooked my lights to the two center batteries. Yes 16 volts, they haven,t burned out yet. A lot of guys do this, most lights will run on 16 volts.

dondiesel444

thanks for that info. so do I hook the negative wire to one battery and the positive to the battery next to it to hook up the light(s)?

and as for the seat, I can't believe how much they are new
yikes2.gif
I am gonna try to find a used one I guess

JRay

Cartaholic
Pos. on one neg. on the next one. Check with a volt meter to make sure you have 16 volts or less.

HotRodCarts

Cartaholic
Welcome to the forum...

Allsports has some deals on rear seats. You may want to consider HD rear springs when you add the seat.

shadowman

whatever you do if your uncertain and don,t know much about electric carts always make sure you disconnect main power before working on it cause if you don,t you can do major damage to the cart and you can hurt yourself.........the 1st money you spend should be on a service manual for your cart it will save you time money and help avoid possible injuries................electric carts can be a danger if you don,t know what your doing so just be very careful........the rocker switch means its a reagan cart which means like if your going downhill and you get to top speed its like a truck with a jake brake.................good luck with it have fun and please be careful i have seen a few carts almost destroyed because of the person not knowing what they were getting in to............................
cool.gif

JRay

Cartaholic
Good advice, i smoked one before i knew how to install lights on an electric cart. I bolted clearance lights to the frame under the cart for effect, she sure smoked pretty. I had a big pile of burn't wires.
wallbash.gif

shadowman

1st elec. cart i touched i caught on fire, got it out before it did more than cable and wire damage ..................point is its not hard to do..............91 E-Z go 36 volt i was doing something simple to it...........................lol.................
cool.gif