Newbie querry

I would like to purchase a cart for use around my (rough and hilly) 5 acres. I would like to charge it from a windmill or photovoltaics .

If you had it to do over, what is your opinion of the best used electric cart model to purchase for potential mods in lift kits and other after market availability, price and performance.

Where would you start looking for that model?

All replies sincerely appreciated
biggrin.gif

gornoman

The only workable charging solution is a correct charger plugged in to 110vac. Nothing else replaces it. Solar panels can only help restore very little to the pack as of now. They just don't produce the kind of DC current these batteries need to reach capacity.

Are you limiting your search to Club Car?

FBJR

I would agree on the solar, but the windmill could do the job nicely.

I am no expert on them, but there idea is to charge batteries for use to convert to AC. If they will charge batteries for that, why not your cart?

Of course, it may cost more than the cart to setup!!!

FB

gornoman

OK, the windmill may work. I hadn't considered it simply because I had no idea of it's capabilities (city boy, LOL). If a windmill can turn a generator for 6-12 hours with enough HP to support a 110vac outlet @ 15 amps draw, then the system would be very easy to implement. Anything less, and the batteries don't get the correct charge cycle.

FBJR

A simple windmill can spin a generator or alternator via a gearbox for the proper RPM. Normally over 1000.

Alts are rated at 100-200 amps at 12 volts so converting that to what you need. Figure you get 48 volts and 25 amp with simple math.

Or, just run it through a simple DC/AC converter to your normal charger. Simpler, but a little more system loss.

FB

Thank you Gentlemen,

How about the second part of my question. If you had it to do over what used electric cart (any maker) would you consider as a working or touring vehicle around the property? . . . best buy, most parts available, easy to work on, etc.

My budget requires something used. I read a string in which a man found a place in Georgia to bid on used carts for an excellent deal. Recons for 1500 or so. Any ideas?
Neil

HotRodCarts

Cartaholic
I like the EZGO TXT (Fleet - Series Wound Motor) myself. I just find them easy to work on. A lot of aftermarket parts for performance and appearance. Very dependable. And best of all no on-board computer to fail. Club Cars are also good carts. I probably lean toward E-Z-GO only because that's what I deal with most of the time...

gornoman

X2 here. Definately a larger aftermarket parts/accessories stream on E-Z-Go's. They may rust, but the welds don't fail.