newbie on a mission

jsthompson1970

Greetings!

Just picked up a 92 Club Car DS 36v w/ V-Glide. Wife wants to avoid carpool lines at school, and my buddy just picked up a 6 seater EZGO. So he let me have his old car for $500. It has 07 batteries and a 36v charger. When I plug it into the charger, it does everything its supposed to. Amp meter is a little above 20, and over the next few hours it slowly descends, and shuts off automatically. Seems to be working great, wife has no problems with the commute. However, there is virtually no torque, and top speed is a whopping 11-12mph.

my wife doesnt care but, most of my buddies have pimped out carts, that they are financing for 6-8grand I think I can do it better for a lot less with some elbow grease & resourcefulness.

Im fairly good with my hands, but I have no real experience with electric cars. Closest experience I have was doing some pretty tricked out car stereo installs back in high school. but i am humble enough to take the advice of my elders, and resourceful enough to find good deals on just about anything I need.

My goal is a lifted tricked out cart with good torque capable of doing 25mph. That Ican put a stereo in maybe some ground effect lights. im willing to do all the work myself, and my total budget is about 2500-3000.

Anyone willing to mentor me on this build?

dirtysouth

Cartaholic - V.I.P. Sponsor
tip.gif

Welcome to the forum.
thumbup.gif

Sounds like you have a plan and that's as good as done.
checkered_flag.gif

I'm the forum idiot when it comes to electrics, but wait a minute and the guru's will help ya out.
tip.gif

shadowman

new higher amp controller, new motor made for speed and torque 6 inch lift, all new 4 or 2 gage cables, HD f&R switch HD solenoid, tires and wheels, that covers basics add in overhead console with kick butt sterio and whatever else....... your gonna be in the 3 grand range or better..........................................................
thumbup.gif

jsthompson1970

Shadowman,

I found a new, 8 HP 36v High speed motor. Red Hawk part # D297 for $375. is this a good Deal/ Motor? Any reccomendations if you dont think this is a good motor?

Thanks!

Scott

shadowman

i would get in touch with D+D motors they make a dam god high speed motor if you want or they can customize something for you..............the one you have posted i have no knowledge of but there may be others who do.............................................
thumbup.gif

cartdr1971

Contact D&D Motors and ask for a motor/controller combination that will work for your application. You will most likely need to upgrade your battery and motor cables to 4 guage and possibly upgrade the forward and reverse switch as well. Keep in mind that D&D tends to underrate the speed of their packages.