New to Golf Carts - Used Yamaha G19E - No lights or turn signals - I could use some suggestions

svohio

My name is Scott! I'm new to everything about golf carts and I could use some experienced insights and suggestions on a used 1996 Yamaha G19E golf cart I received as a gift.

My problem:
Electrically, this cart runs just fine which amounts to forward, backward and able to climb slopes and grades, etc. Good response... all in all, good. However, I do not have lights or turn signals. Since this is a custom cart I'm not sure what is really standard equipment and what might be additional, and maybe how I should approach resolving the lights issue. So I provided some pictures for convenience.

What have I done:
I did start with looking at a G19E wiring diagram posted here from HotRodCarts. I'm not exactly good at reading wiring diagrams, but I'm sure I could follow it if I took my time - and I plan to do that. Besides the diagram, I've done nothing beyond looking over what wiring I could see, scoping out what things look like. I see a few "electrical tape" wrapped wires which you never know. I usually shrink wrap (heat applied) any connections I do. I can rewire. I've done so from my 8N tractor to my guitar -- but usually by dumb-dumb diagrams, ha.

Here is what I see:
There is a switch for turn signaling on the steering column with a red pull switch. This does not light up or do anything but it appears to be wired.
There is an off/off switch mounted to the console and that does control power to the cart.
There is a Key socket but it is not hooked up and there is a "lights" pull switch, wired but doesn't appear to work.
There are splices wrapped in electrical tape.

My goal:
To get the lights and signals working. I posted some pictures in case they would be helpful in making any suggestions or recommendations. Again, I'm not sure what is standard and then additional. If everything seems to look correct, as expected and standard then I'm thinking it may be easier to just buy a new wiring harness. What I don't know is if I buy a wiring harness whether I may need to do additional wiring. You may not know that here but it seems like a good place to start.

Again, before I really dive into this I thought it wise to get some insights that may make this easier.

Thanks for your time!

Attachments

• BatteryCompartment.jpg
    BatteryCompartment.jpg
    86.8 KB · Views: 8
  • BehindConsole.jpg
    BehindConsole.jpg
    99.5 KB · Views: 8
  • SteerColumnConsole.jpg
    SteerColumnConsole.jpg
    102.3 KB · Views: 8

HotRodCarts

Cartaholic
The turn signals and turn signal switch are aftermarket and were added by someone. The wiring appears to be a mess by looking at the pictures. Have you checked to see if there's any fuses in the light wiring? There should be. If all fuses are good you're going to need a test light and some patience to get it sorted out. Welcome to the forum. :hattip:

svohio

I absolutely agree! IT has also gotten further complicated. I took it out for a few minutes driving in the yard and it started to smolder on the connection from the Forward and Reverse switch to what I think is a solenoid. I burned my finger it was so hot. So I think I may need to start from scratch. A new wiring harness may be best, then googling on how to install the aftermarket stuff. Any recommendations on sources for the wiring and wiring harness.

HotRodCarts

Cartaholic
The cable getting hot like that is usually caused by a bad cable, bad cable connection or a bad forward and reverse switch. As far as the wiring for the lights goes it will be hard to find a harness that will be plug and play because those golf carts didn't come from the factory with turn signals. I doubt that the wiring for the lights had anything to do with the cable getting hot on the forward and reverse switch. :twocents:

svohio

Ok, I will check about a replacement cable. I was concerned because the terminal connection to the Forward/Back was literally charred gray and black from the heat. I knew the lights had nothing to do with it, they simply don't work, LOL!

What I was hoping was to get a wiring harness that was to original specifications for the original features of the Yamaha G19E lights, key/ignition, etc. Then from there, I could probably figure out how to tie in the after market pieces if I choose to do so -- or maybe just eliminate them.

BTW, I appreciate the insight and assistance. It may help to take a couple pictures of the cart for reference but I'm away at the moment.

HotRodCarts

Cartaholic
If the contact connection on the forward and reverse switch is burnt chances are the contacts or complete forward and reverse switch are bad.