New To Carts

clittle97

Hello to all, I am sure you all have been asked this question 1000 times. I know nothing about carts. I am looking to buy a cart but need some advise on what to buy. I want to lift a cart and use for a hunting buggy going through the woods and such. Do I want a electric or gas cart? I see some folks talking about txt and pds carts, what is this? Is there a year model or brand that is better than others. I called someone that has a 2004 EZGO electric with original batteries, and he said it has precision steering (i think) will work or do I need something else. He is asking 2300 for it is this a good deal. :dazed:

Thanks

HotRodCarts

Cartaholic
Welcome to the forum...

A lot will depend on the distance you need to travel while hunting. If your going deep into the woods you may be better off with a gas cart...

The cart your looking at sounds like it's a PDS (Precision Drive System). In my opinion if your going to go with a electric cart for hunting you should look for a TXT Fleet cart (series wound motor). You can tell the series carts by the location of the shifter, it will be by your leg. Also the series cart will not have a run/tow switch under the seat on the controller cover. The PDS carts will have a switch on the dash for forward and reverse. Then you have the DCS carts which is the early version PDS. The DCS cart will have the shifter by your leg but will have the run/tow switch on the controller cover under the seat.

clittle97

I got a cart the other day it has the tow/run switch. I am wanting to lift it do I need to do any other upgrades before I lift it?

Thanks

HotRodCarts

Cartaholic
You have a DCS cart. You could upgrade ALL the 6 guage cables to 4 guage. As long as you stay with 22" tires os shorter you should be fine.

clittle97

Thanks,

The guy told me when I bought the cart that the charger needed a new control board. I took it to the local battery shop that works on them a little. He called me this morning and said he put the control board in there and it keeps throwing a breaker. Any ideas?

clittle97

Ok I took my charger the the ez go dealer ship and got it fixed. When I plug it in the amp meter jumps around, the charger is clicking on and off. I will come on for a few seconds and then click off for a few seconds, sometimes it will not come on the the meter will just jump all the way over then right back off. It is a power wise charger. Is this normal?

Thanks
Steven

HotRodCarts

Cartaholic
No it's not normal. You could have a bad connection on one of your batteries, the charger DC plug or the receptacle on the cart. A shorted battery can also cause the problem you're having...