New Solenoid in Sept.

Baldy_54

Put a new Solenoid in Sept. All was well. Today, I took the charger out and it does nada. Checked the battery voltage and I have about 7.7 volts one each battery 48 volt cart. Before I left, I charged the cart and put the switch in Tow. Now is moves not. Darn I hate to put a new solenoid in again, they are not cheap. Any Ideas? Step on the pedal and I hear nothing. Goes not.

Pimp Daddy

Cartaholic - R.I.P.
7.7 sounds low for an 8 volt battery...What was the reading after charging? Usually 2.14 volts per cell, so an 8 volt battery should read @8.56. (Info courtesy of Trojan Website)
dazed053.gif

Baldy_54

That is the problem, the charger is not charging. 7.7 volts per battery should be enough voltage to get the charger to respond, right? The cart should move also with that much voltage

Pimp Daddy

Cartaholic - R.I.P.
How old are the batteries??
dazed053.gif
Could be a Charger/Battery all along.
unsure.gif
I don't know what the minimum voltage a Club Car will shut down, but after charging 46.2 volts don't look good...
twocents.gif

Diode

Cartaholic - V.I.P. Sponsor
36 or 37 volts is what charger relay needs to actuate
go to my site under chargers and look up grey wire test

Baldy_54

It was fully charged middle of Sept. Went home came back Todau Jan 13 and tried to charge it. Charger would not register, the swith was in tow after I charged it. Measured batteries 7.7 volts. I always try to charge batteries when I come down before I take it out for a run. Batteries are 3 years old, they are cart batteries not the best like Trojans. Would have thought the voltage would have been enough to get the charger going. It sat for 4 months with the switch in tow after I charged them.

shadowman

what year is the cart? have you tried resetting the OBC.......is it possible to try your charger on another cart? thats enought voltage for charger to come on and a bad solenoid won,t keep cart from charging however the OBC effects both charging and solenoid.......................
cool.gif

shadowman

There is a series of things that need down, take the main negative cable off then turn cart on put in reverse slowly press pedal until reverse buzzer dies out then let it sit for a few minutes turn key off reconnect battery cable and see if cart runs and charges.if you have a tow switch make sure you put in tow before taking cable off .................................
cool.gif

Baldy_54

I moved the cart about 6 feet, got in and turned the key and it was good in forward and reverse. I then hooked up the charger and still no go. I measured the voltage at the charger input and I had 42+ volts. Is there any way to check a chatrger with some kind of load, Guess the next thing to do is borrow a charger and see what happens. Thanks for all the help will report back.

shadowman

The cart should not run with the charger plugged in, yes if you can have the charger checked that's the thing to do, as far as testing the charger the best thing to do is get the manual and go step-by-step.

Baldy_54

Juat curious, what will a new or used 48 volt charger cost? Do chargers just up and go bad, I used it 4 months ago and all was good when I put it up and it has not been subjected to the weather. Just incase I need a manual, where are they available, on here maybe?

Baldy_54

UPDATE A friend came down with his CC Cart and his charger would not work on mine. Took my charger and hooked up to his cart it worked fine.

There were 2 cables that had some corrosion, I took them off and cleaned them up, hooked my charger up and Bingo the charger fired up.

Bottom line even the smallest amount of corrosion can cause the biggest problem. Before I left 4 months ago, I had the cables looking good, with the salt air, it doesn't take long for it to return.

Thanks all

PS What is a good thing to put on the cables to do away with corrosion? My Buddy suggested putting baking soda and then put vinegar on the soda. He said (to move the cart off the concrete before you do it as it will stain the concrete).

shadowman

well at least it was an easy fix, if you maintain them ( the cables ) theres nothing you need put on them but if your gonna put something on to protect them i would go with something like vasiline ( just to protect while sitting ) to clean.......i would get everything penny shiney as good as you can but wouldn,t use anything to clean them its not needed................just my opinion.................................................
cool.gif