New project

oddpowers

Cartaholic
Can someone help me with camber/caster? camber is /--\ right? and Caster is the kingpin rolled back (or forward)?

Can someoen tell me what the recommended of each would be on my drag cart? OYJ tells me his will run straight down the track with no wondering. Mine, not so much... I have to fight mine the whole way. I think I have 5% camber, and 12% caster.

HotRodCarts

Cartaholic
Back on top is positive. Also I always run about 1/16 to 1/8" of toe in. To much toe in or any toe out will cause steering problems.

S.E.R.

Hey Troy haven't seen DS on lately on our drag cart chassis hes got the front end leaned back don't know what degree but the tow is 1/8 . The cart is straight as an arrow down the track . I think if the cart would run a 100 mph it would would be safe at that speed. Maybe he will chime in
tip.gif

dirtysouth

Cartaholic - V.I.P. Sponsor
Thanks S.E.R...
dazed053.gif
J/K! Caster is good with positive as Rod said, meaning the king pins lean back towards the cart. Camber don't make a chit, toe is the most critical, especially on short wheelbases, you don't wanna just guess on toe setting. If the cart, (don't matter what, who's stuff) tracks like it's on ice or sand and you have to continually correct steering, then the front of the front tires are wider than the back of the front tires. If it darts to left and right and feels like it's gonna put you in the ditch at any moment, then the front of the front tires are narrower than the back of the front tires. If you are running a leaf spring front end like EZGO then all bets are off, cause they ain't gonna handle at speeds above 25mph. Best you can do is measure and get as close to "0" as you can, then make a pass and adjust in or out accordingly until the cart cuts a straight line. If you wanna understand caster, next time at grocery store, take a grocery buggy and haul ass across the parking lot as fast as you can and watch the front wheels of the buggy.
rotflmao.gif

twocents.gif
tip.gif

MrWicked

Cartaholic - R.I.P.
well with our the caster is +7 and the camber is -7 also have to play with air pressure too much air will also make it want to move around...

Bill

Just to add here, positive caster adds resistance when turning from center.
That is why higher numbers are preferred at high speeds.
It gives a better feel and you might be less likely to over correct.

Also, it is what returns the wheel to center after making a turn. (If you let your hands off the wheel after turning)

Like already stated, toe is the one angle that has to be precise. Camber/caster should be as close as possible side to side whatever the numbers may be.

TerryH

All I know is I can let go of the wheel in the lights on my DSR chassis and it still goes straight and I ain't about to mess with it.
thumbup.gif

MrWicked

Cartaholic - R.I.P.
also remember to check toe when you have someone close to the same weight as the driver.... if the cart squates an 1" will change the tow

oddpowers

Cartaholic
Mine is ridged as well.

I will check the toe first.

I realize the common way of doing it is tilting the top back, but based on the shopping cart analogy, It seams tilting the top forward would have that effect? On the shopping cart the center of the wheel is aft of the pivot, if I tilt the king pin in my cart back, doesn't that put the wheel center fwd of the king pin pivot? Or am I looking at it incorrectly?

Thanks for everyones help!

oddpowers

Cartaholic
Never mind...
redface.gif

I see that the shopping cart would have the same "trail" as the king pin rolled back.

That for everyones help!!
tip.gif