New Hobby

golfcar2000

Cartaholic
Thinking about buying a camper and traveling across the USA. Anyone done this and offer some advice? I was looking to take my ATV with me and ride a few locations again or try some new riding areas plus visit most of the national parks and camp along the way. With that being said I have been looking at the pull behind truck toy hauler type campers and the class C and pulling my trailer. I have been leaning towards the toy hauler trailer so I would have my truck to travel to and from local attractions while leaving the camper/toy hauler in a campground. Just wondering if anyone has done something like this and can offer some suggestions or advice on this type of travel.

HotRodCarts

Cartaholic
I'd say the toy hauler would be the way to go. It you're going to travel across the USA I would plan some sort of route in advance. Other than that load up and hit the road.

golfcar2000

Cartaholic
I have a ruff idea of my route out and back but will have to rake a few detours along the way. My wife still has to work and I will be picking her up and dropping her off at several points along the way as she is going to fly in and out to meet up. I can't start until October still getting treatments until mid September so looking at best route to travel and avoid the snow and ice. I have experienced the gas fumes in another guys toy hauler but he had open gas containers so hoping I will be able to put cans in bed of truck and keep the ATV from smelling along the way. Thanks for the reply all good ideas. and things to consider.

slim67

I have a ruff idea of my route out and back but will have to rake a few detours along the way. My wife still has to work and I will be picking her up and dropping her off at several points along the way as she is going to fly in and out to meet up. I can't start until October still getting treatments until mid September so looking at best route to travel and avoid the snow and ice. I have experienced the gas fumes in another guys toy hauler but he had open gas containers so hoping I will be able to put cans in bed of truck and keep the ATV from smelling along the way. Thanks for the reply all good ideas. and things to consider.
I think some things you just tolerate but I like the toyhaulers double use in one so I would do like you and store the cans elsewhere. I see a ton of them out there and wouldn't mind having one so I could take my golf cart with me. You know double towing is an option and legal to.

golfcar2000

Cartaholic
You're right somethings you just tolerate and go on. We have hauled up to 4 ATV's in my enclosed trailer and we would sleep in homemade bunks in the front at a truck stop on the way out west several times when we would ride out there and didn't have problems except for the human gas smell with everyone farting the truck stop food all night. Wake up early hit the showers and eat the buffet and back on the road.

slim67

You're right somethings you just tolerate and go on. We have hauled up to 4 ATV's in my enclosed trailer and we would sleep in homemade bunks in the front at a truck stop on the way out west several times when we would ride out there and didn't have problems except for the human gas smell with everyone farting the truck stop food all night. Wake up early hit the showers and eat the buffet and back on the road.
truck stop food was good years ago!

golfcar2000

Cartaholic
I would agree I have had several great meals from truck stops over the years and actually think some of those restaurants have improved over the years.:thumbsup:

slim67

I remember one we used to go to that served a real hamburger, fries and a shake that i havent has since. They even gave you the extra shake in the stainless mixer cup. It was a small truck stop but very nice. nothing like these vast monsters around today.