New guy...great site !!!!

Bogey-man

tip.gif

Hello everyone !!! I just joined this site last night but have been reading the forums for a week or so trying to learn a little about the 98 ezgo I just bought (first cart ever). Used mainly for golf, but the kids like to take it out as well. Just wanted to say hi, and let you know what a great site this is. I'm sure I'll have a ton of questions, but from what I've been reading, it's nothing you guys won't be able to help with. Thanks in advance.

StreetGlide

Welcome!
tip.gif

There is a lot of info withing these pages. HRC has done a great job with this site!

I still use the search engine when looking for info.

Don't be shy! There are a lot of guys on here "full" of knowledge that can help you. I'm new (6 or 7 months) into this and I learn something from the "experts" almost every day!

StreetGlide

Welcome!
tip.gif

There is a lot of info withing these pages. HRC has done a great job with this site!

I still use the search engine when looking for info.

Don't be shy! There are a lot of guys on here "full" of knowledge that can help you. I'm new (6 or 7 months) into this and I learn something from the "experts" almost every day!

Bogey-man

Thanks for the welcome guys.

I'm still trying to figure out some of the acronyms everyone is throwing around in here for parts and systems, but I'm sure I'll catch on. Like I said I just recently bought my first cart and I am still checking it out as I have time (I have a 7 month old boy !!) and so far everything is working great. My first question is about my steering wheel/column. There seems to be a little play in the wheel when the cart is not moving. It's not real bad, but I was wondering if this was normal on all carts (many of the ones I drove at the golf course were this way, but they were all in pretty rough shape also). Can I tighten something at the top of the column, under the wheel, to get rid of some of the play ??? When I'm driving the cart it doesn't seem to have an impact on the handling so should I just leave it alone?? Thanks for any advice you can give me.

HotRodCarts

Cartaholic
There's no adjustment on a EZGO steering box. Have someone rock the steering wheel back and forth while you look under the cart. Check the steering box, and tie rod ends for play. Jack the front of the cart up and grab the tires at the top and bottom and check for play in the king pin bushings. There's also grease fittings on the tire rod ends, spindles and two on the steering box...

Bogey-man

Thanks HRC, I'll try that when I get a chance. I went ahead the other day and put grease in all the fittings you mentioned and some came out the bottom of the tie rod end on the driver side. Does this need to be replaced immediately??

Also, as I said, I have a 98 txt with the F/R under the leg. I don't see a run/tow switch. If it's not a PDS, then what is it?
When I was cleaning the battery cables one of them gave a small spark when I reconnected it. I read somewhere that when checking anything in the electrical system the cart needs to be in "tow". Do I just move my F/R lever to the middle (neutral???) when checking anything electrical or if I need to tow it for some reason. Sorry for all the questions, I don't want to sound like a complete idiot but I do want to try and learn everything I can and I couldn't find anything in the forum for this particular question.

HotRodCarts

Cartaholic
Grease the fittings at least once a season your fine. If it's a 98 with no run tow switch it's a fleet/series system. When doing any maintenance on the batteries and cables make sure the key is off and it's best to have the F&R switch in the middle/neutral. You can tow the cart with no problem but keep the speed under 15-20 MPH when towing...

Don't worry about asking questions, thats what this place is here for.
thumbup.gif