New EZGO TXT Owner (New to Golf Carts)

TXCart2922

Hey y'all, I picked up a EZGO TXT the other week. This is my first golf cart ownership so I'm new to this, and finding out there's a lot to learn (outside of just driving them around 18 holes). I've attached some pictures, and have some questions, if anyone can help me out on better understanding my cart.

1. Can anyone tell me what year this TXT is to confirm, as it doesn't have the serial plate? Is there anywhere else to check, or any way else to tell?
2. It is a 36v car with (6) 6v Interstate Batteries from Costco that are a year old. I just topped off water in all of them (distilled), but anything else to be aware of or can be seen in the pictures?
3. The cart seems to have a maximum speed (on flat surface) around 14-15mph as tracked by an app on my phone. Is really sluggish going up hill (around 10-12mph) depending on the incline. Understanding the modifications to the cart, and hauling 4 individuals, is this right? I guess I wasn't expecting that amount of sluggishness, but if that's normal, then I won't worry anymore. Is there anything I can do, without crazy expensive mods, to increase speed??
4. There is a little bit of play in the steering. Is there a way I can fix this easily without taking a whole lot of things apart or buying something new? I checked the attachment of the steering wheel, and it's tight and turns with the steering rod.

Thank you all for any information/responses you can provide. I look forward to learning and updating as I go.

Attachments

HotRodCarts

Cartaholic
We would need the manufactures code from the tag to tell the exact year. From looking at the pictures it looks like your steering box is mounted to the frame so that would put it somewhere between a 1996-2001. In 2001.5 EZGO moved the steering box mount to the front axle. Your golf cart is a series cart so most of the parts will be the same between 1996-2001. The speeds you posted are normal for that model EZGO. The play in the steering is probably the bushings in the steering box. Congrats on the new cart and welcome to Cartaholics Golf Cart forum. :hattip:

TXCart2922

We would need the manufactures code from the tag to tell the exact year. From looking at the pictures it looks like your steering box is mounted to the frame so that would put it somewhere between a 1996-2001. In 2001.5 EZGO moved the steering box mount to the front axle. Your golf cart is a series cart so most of the parts will be the same between 1996-2001. The speeds you posted are normal for that model EZGO. The play in the steering is probably the bushings in the steering box. Congrats on the new cart and welcome to Cartaholics Golf Cart forum. :hattip:
Thank you for your response and information. I'm glad you noted those speeds as normal. Makes me feel better nothing is really wrong with the setup/batteries/motor. Now though, is there anyway to increase that speed without expensive mods? I know there's constant talk about speed controllers....Same with regards to the steering, do you believe I should be able to get into the steering box to adjust the bushings, or is it more likely I would have to get a new steering box to resolve this play in the steering?

Thanks again

HotRodCarts

Cartaholic
There's no adjustment on the EZGO steering box. If the bushings in the steering box are worn you would have to replace them. On a series golf cart like yours there really isn't a cheap way to increase speed.

TXCart2922

If the nut/shaft in this picture rocks back and forth when you turn the wheel the bushing is bad.

Thanks. I "stupidly" assumed if I tightened this nut, it would tighten the response of the rod. That wasn't the case. So yeah, there is play in the rod/nut when I turn before the wheels turn. So it sounds like the only solution to this would be a new steering box?

HotRodCarts

Cartaholic
You can replace the bushing in the steering box. It's the bushing that @Nubs posted a picture of. Golf Cart Tire Supply sells them.

HotRodCarts

Cartaholic
There's a grease fitting for the bushing on the steering box so once you replace the bushing grease it a couple times a year and it will last longer.

TXCart2922

There's a grease fitting for the bushing on the steering box so once you replace the bushing grease it a couple times a year and it will last longer.
So I have to ask, cause I can't find it anywhere. I was trying to find a parts breakdown where this bushing is located for me to replace. I thought I saw a thread about manuals, but can't seem to find it again. Thanks again for the help.

TXCart2922

Yes 15 is the bushing and 24 is the thrust washer and should be replaced also if the bushing is bad.
Ok, I will look into this too. So basically I have to remove all of part 18 in order to replace 15 & 24, correct? Is there guarantee this will fix any slop in the steering?

Also, was reading a little more with regards to speed. Would simply replacing speed controller with higher capacity do it, or I would need new motor with speed controller and some other things? Again, I feel happy that the speeds I'm getting are normal. And I checked batteries at full charge and got 38.3V after letting it sit 12+ hours. And just topped off the batteries with distilled water.

Also looking to add a meter to see where batteries are during our rides. Any recommendations there?

HotRodCarts

Cartaholic
If that's the only place you see play in the steering then yes replacing the bushing and thrust washer will fix the problem.

Replacing the controller on a series cart won't give the cart any more top speed without changing the motor also.

Golf Cart Tire Supply has some nice state of charge meters. Curtis meters are also very good.

TXCart2922

I apologize again, as this may be a really dumb question. Was looking at how to take off the front panel to access the steering box to replace the bushing and spindle. For some reason, I cannot figure out how to remove these two items (see attached pics). I've tried every allen / torx / anything in there, and it just spins without doing anything. Judging from the backside view, is this just like a pop rivet that I need to pry out? Same occur on the front dash portion too.

Also, do you think I can replace the bushing and thrust washer without having to remove the whole steering box assembly?

Thanks

Attachments

Tomd

Also, do you think I can replace the bushing and thrust washer without having to remove the whole steering box assembly .
It will have to be removed and torn apart. Its not that hard to do just a greasy job.
Also once you drill those rivets out you can install two bolts to put it back on,

TXCart2922

Also, do you think I can replace the bushing and thrust washer without having to remove the whole steering box assembly .
It will have to be removed and torn apart. Its not that hard to do just a greasy job.
Also once you drill those rivets out you can install two bolts to put it back on,
Thanks for the response. What about the rivets around the dash where you can't get behind to replace with bolts?

Tomd

Have you removed the plastic cover in front ? should have four bolts or rivets in it. The two at the top won't have nuts on them. 7/16th wrench should remove them . I got a 1998 TXT and I can remove the rack and pinion is 15 minutes but I do understand if you have never done this. Post a picture of what you are trying to remove to gain access to rack