New Batteries or Desulfator?

AHIII

Hi Guys,
It looks like I may be looking at needing to get a new set of batteries. Before I do, I wanted to check and see if anyone has tried any of the desulfators? Not sure if these are gimmicks, if they "sorta" work, or if it's the "best thing since sliced bread"??? Just looking for any opinions.

JRay

Cartaholic
I have a desulfator on my cart, 02 batteries. When i first installed it after a week or so the hydrometer showed the weak cells came up some. It leveled off there. Batteries need charging more often,because its using juice all the time. Forgot to unhook it when i went south last winter came home to dead batt. Paid 75 bucks for it so that is the price of one battery or close. Minn Kota makes a battery rejuvenator I am going to try, nothing to lose on old a battery.

HotRodCarts

Cartaholic
I would say with the battery voltages you posted in your other thread it's time to bite the bullet and buy batteries. If you do try a desulfater let us know how it works out for you...

AHIII

THANKS guys. I've noticed that there is one particular company that apparently sells most of the golf cart batteries. Would you guys recommend any particular battery over another? I would expect 30-60 minute runs between times I could charge. We have a couple of relatively steep hills on our place (~50-60 yard runs), but it's relatively mild inclines other than that.
Also, Cartaholics Golf Cart Forum has been VERY helpful to me. I'd like to buy from a sponsor if it's at all feasible. Can anyone tell me where i can find a sponsor list?
Thanks.

OlBoy

I tried a desulfater on my 12 volt deep cycle trolling motors batteries in the past and never saw any benefits. :dazed:

HotRodCarts

Cartaholic
I've never had much luck with them either...

The site sponsors are listed in the forum side bar or on the sponsors page. As far as batteries go you should look local and do some pricing. Trojans are the # 1 golf cart battery and prices seem to vary depending on location. I've also had good luck with Interstate and Exide golf cart batteries. Some Sams Clubs sell 6 volt Interstate cart batteries at around $65.00 a peice. I've seen some people say they've paid $125.00 a peice for 6 volt Trojans :eek:They may be better but not worth those kind of prices in my opinion. You will have good luck with the cheaper batteries as long as you maintain them well.

I'm glad to hear you find Cartaholics Golf Cart Forum helpful and thanks for the compliment. :cool:

JRay

Cartaholic
Well I like snake oil, Desulfators and Minn Kota battery rejuvinater. Hell its only money, you gotta experiment. Waste at least a 100 bucks before you break down and buy new batteries. :rotflmao: Thats my plan and I'm sticking to it. As soon as i get my hands on some of that Minn Kota snake oil I will report back.