New Batteries - Barley Moving!

cmoose1159

Hello - Just installed new trojan batteries on my 2002 electric DS. The batteries are all testing great, cart will move extremley slow about 15 - 20 feet then stop completley. Batteries do not drain...don't know what's happening. What is the problem??? Can you suggest some troubleshooting steps? Solenoid was extremley corroded before I changed the batteries. Thanks in advance!

HotRodCarts

Cartaholic
Welcome to the forum...

Are the batteries wired correctly? Check the wiring and make sure you have the right batteries.

shadowman

this may sound stupid but did they give you the right batteries? how many water fill holes? 3=36 volt 4=48 volts.........and the red 10 gage wire from the charge receptical what battery is it connected to...........i can,t tell you how many time people have been sold the wrong batts.......what brand are they?....................................
thumbup.gif

cmoose1159

3 hole batteries....Trojan 105's. Checked wiring...appears correct. Red wire is connected to the first in the series.

HotRodCarts

Cartaholic
A 2002 Club Car should be a 48 volt cart with 6 8 volt batteries (4 cells per battery). Sounds like you have the wrong batteries.

HotRodCarts

Cartaholic
Did the cart run before you replaced the batteries? Test the batteries individually with a digital volt meter and post you results.

shadowman

have you load tested batteries? if not do so do one at a time........how old are cables? if your unsure replace them i have seen older cables that looked fine only to find them corroded under the insulation that you would never see unless you started stripping the rubber off them.........they can be a major restriction of voltage and if its one going to the motor even more so.........so if unsure replace batt. cables and cables to motor.........................................
thumbup.gif

hiwaydog

this may be asking the obvious, but you did change the cables at the time you changed the batts did you not?

if so i suggest checking the cables from the controller to the motor, and take a good look at the posts on the motor, make sure they don't look burned.

it is possible the brushes inside the motor are excessively worn, but the only way to check this is to pull the motor and disassemble it, which i do not suggest unless you know what you are doing.

jlawson211

The F-N-R switch has copper contacts. Ensure they are not corroded. With jack stands on the rear axle, and an assistant on the pedal, you can check voltage to the motor. Less than 36V, at full pedal, would indicate an unwanted voltage drop across your connections or issues with the controller. Full voltage would point you to the motor brushes....