New Batteries and Golf Cart Slows Down After 5 Minutes Shutters and Dies

Bub99

I bought a 1997 Club Car for my kids for Christmas and they haven't got to use it yet, need help. The golf cart slows after 5 minutes and shutters and dies. Had new batteries put in (Interstate Deep cycle) 48 volts. Bought new charger, didn't help, replace plug receptacle, didn't fix it, replaced solenoid, still at ground zero. Any suggestions of other things to check, wires look good also. Put tester on batteries all say 7.9 v to 8.3 sitting. Starts off fine, fast then start to low after 5 min, lights start get dim, then off, the carts shutters (Shakes) have to release pedal and lightly press and limp back TO YARD.

HotRodCarts

Cartaholic
If the individual battery voltage is 7.9 volts the batteries need to be charged. Did you charge the batteries after you installed them before using the golf cart? Are you sure you have the battery cables and battery charger wires wired correctly? Welcome to Cartaholics Golf Cart Forum. :hattip:

Bub99

If the battery is 8 volts each and they are reading 7.9 why would they need to be charged? When I plug charger in it does not charge it and it did before so I think the batteries are good or it would kick on, it’s a new charger made by Lester links. What should the battery each read?

Attachments

• DA57A148-54C9-4AFE-88B0-497FFE680AE2.jpeg
    DA57A148-54C9-4AFE-88B0-497FFE680AE2.jpeg
    75.6 KB · Views: 9

Bub99

Yes this was pic when I first charged it they batt are good brand new paid $700 for them, new charger, new charging receptacle and new solenoid

Diode

Cartaholic - V.I.P. Sponsor
A perfect set of batteries should read right around 51 volts or 2.125 volts per cell

HotRodCarts

Cartaholic
If the battery is 8 volts each and they are reading 7.9 why would they need to be charged? When I plug charger in it does not charge it and it did before so I think the batteries are good or it would kick on, it’s a new charger made by Lester links. What should the battery each read?
Here's a link to the battery state of charge percentages. The 8 volt batteries that are showing 7.9 volts are dead and are not charged. If the battery charger isn't turning on when you plug it in you have something wired wrong, bad connection at the charger receptacle, battery charger problem or no AC power.

Bub99

Thanks for reply’s turned out to be bad wires, up and running now!

Attachments

• D32B47E8-558F-4AB9-8B26-4B62E16DEC21.png
    D32B47E8-558F-4AB9-8B26-4B62E16DEC21.png
    138.7 KB · Views: 9