need some advice

mick

Hey guys, nice forum you have here. I just picked up a cherry 04 EZ-GO and I plan on putting a 5" lift with 23's on it. My question is what should I do mod wise to the power train to help turn these tires better? I'm a bit of a metal fabricator, so I'm going to do my best not to make to much garbage for it to keep the weight down. It's a 36volt with fresh batteries. I'm just going with some all terrains for the neighborhood with minimal hills.
Thanks

mick

I have no clue, I can't find a model tag on it anywhere. It has toggle with a run or tow position. How would I tell the difference?

gornoman

The Run/Tow switch defines it as a sepex system. If the F/R switch is on the dash by the key, you have a PDS cart.

HotRodCarts

Cartaholic
Welcome to the forum...

I'd start with upgrading all 6 guage cable to 4 guage. If the area you'll be using the cart has minimal hills you should be fine with just the cable upgrade. If you decide you want more speed and torque a controller upgrade to would be next...

mick

Thanks guys....a PDS it is, I guess I should hit my local welding shop up for cables then or does anyone market a decent kit to save me the hassle of crimping.

HotRodCarts

Cartaholic
CartPartsPlus lists the battery cables only. You can check with them to see if they sell a complete set...

Buggies Unlimited sells a pre made set for a fleet cart. They will work on your cart but you'll have a couple cables you won't use from the set. I just looked on their website and don't see them listed anymore but I'm sure thet still have them. Here's their number if you want to call and ask about them 1-888-444-9994...

mick

Thanks! CartParts had the battery cables and I will make whatever else I need. Between those guys and Ebay, I've had a pretty good week and have a lift, wheels and tires, fender flares and a couple other small items coming. I will post a pic when everything is on.

HotRodCarts

Cartaholic
Sounds good. Keep us updated.
thumbup.gif

mick

Got all the wires done today and it sure needed it. The guy at cartsplus talked me into a torque chip for the controller. Is this a good idea? Also, I'm going with heavy duty rear springs, should I use the 5" lift ones or just go with std heavy duty with blocks?
Thanks!

gornoman

A lifted cart should have HD springs all around, IMHO.

As for the chip, which one is it and what do they charge for them?

mick

I plan on going heavy duty all the way around, just wondering if I do the 5" lift spring if t would be to stiff with the more arched springs rather than going with a standarnd HD spring with blocks. The torque chip was 11 bucks and plugs into the controller where the no tamper sticker so I was wondering if this is a good idea.

JRay

Cartaholic
Why does a lifted cart need heavy duty springs? 4 leaf springs make a cart ride like a lumber wagon. 2 leaf is plenty of spring for a rear seat or a cargo box. I have messed around with a lot of cart springs trying different things and 4 leaf are too harsh of a ride, shakes your rum and coke right out of the cup. Now that is serious :censored:.

JRay

Cartaholic
Right on brother, thats alcohol abuse. I would do a little checking before i went with a real heavy spring.
rotflmao.gif

gornoman

If you don't go HD, when you trail ride your tires are gonna rub the bodywork. It's not if, it's when. Also, raising the cart raises the center of gravity and adds to the tip factor. HD springs will bring that back under control adding to better stability, both offroad and on.

Yeah, they ride rough as hell. It's your decision to make.

HotRodCarts

Cartaholic
My silver 99 TXT has a six inch drop axle lift and stock springs all the way around and rides and handles nice on and off road but will bottom out the rear shocks with 2 heavy passengers on the back seat off road. No tire rub front or rear and the cart is very stable in the turns.

My red 99 TXT has a six inch drop axle lift with HD springs all the way around and rides like a tank with no one on the rear seat but I can haul anything that will fit on it. It rides good with passengers on the back...

As far as the lift goes I'd use a Jakes drop axle lift and use stock HD or regular springs.

gornoman

3 non-lifted E-Z-Go's, and 2 lifted club cars. All have rear seats and all go trail riding with 4 adults onboard. All are cited as "improved" by their owners.

Maybe it's not for everyone....

JRay

Cartaholic
I can see you could use them trail riding with 4 adults. I put 2 sets on and week or so they were back wanted them taken off, removed them last week, thats why i wasn't so crazy about HD springs the other night.