Need Help

captain

I have a 1998 Club Car, and I think I have the original batteries in them. I was only getting around 45 minutes run time, and then I would have to re-charge. I noticed alot of corrision around the fram at the bottom of the batteries, so I took all the batteries out, and cleaned all of the corrision up, and then tried to recondition (1) set of batteries to see if I coulld get by till next year., ( 36 volt cart). When I put the batteries back in. the cart would run in reverse, but not in forward. I would hear a loud clicking at the solenoid when I put it in forward. I have since replaced the solenoid, and it does the same thing. Before I go ahead a replace all of the batteries, I was wondering if anyone else has experienced this, and if it indeed coulld be that I need new batteries to fix the problem. Before I took the batteries out to clean the cart, the cart ran fine, exceprt for the run time. Help!!!!!!

captain

I also tried to charge batteries, and the charger will hum like it wants to charge, but the meter is at zero. does this meean that there is not enought voltage left in the batteries to start the charging process. Please advise!!!!!!

HotRodCarts

Cartaholic
Welcome to Cartaholics.

If the batteries are the originals it's definitely time for new ones. But you do have a problem other than the batteries. Double check that you have them all wire correctly positive to negative. Also check the voltage of each battery with a digital meter and post your results.

captain

I found out that the batteries are 11 yrs old( March of 98). here are the voltage readings. 1V, 3V, 5.8V, 5.8V. 5.9V, and 6.2V. I checked the wiring and all seem to be wired correctly. If it was the wiring would the cart still run in reverse like it does?? Will new batteries correct the problem???? Thanks for any input!!!!!

HotRodCarts

Cartaholic
You need batteries for sure. The cart only uses 3 batteries and 18 volts for reverse so thats probably why its running in reverse only. Let us know how it runs with the new batteries...