Need Help Rebuilding the Engine In My EZGO Golf Cart

mitch_04

Hi,
I was just given an 1986 ez-go marathon with a 2 stroke 244 cc Robin engine. It had the front spindles cut off, so I found a front axle for it already, but the motor is blown. I tore it down, piston was cracked and scraped the cylinder, so I'm going to get a new cylinder/piston, plus probably new crank bearings, and case seals and gaskets. My questions are is there anything about this engine/cart I should know about? Is there any places to get good used parts? I plan on baggin' it over winter, doing some custom body work, headlights, taillights, maybe a custom windshild, definetly a stereo. Is there a good "deep cycle" battery for those? Any way to soup up the engine? I want it fast or pullin' wheelies, one or the other. Also, there is two wires coming out of my engine that have been chopped on the outside, where do those go? Anyone have repair manuals, electric diagrams, or torque specs on the engine? If theres anything you think could help that I am missing, please help me out. Thanks!

HotRodCarts

Cartaholic
Welcome to the forum...

You could have 025 - 050 cut off the head to give it more compression. You won't be pulling wheelies but it will help with a little more power.

Gas carts use a regular cranking battery, you don't want a deep cycle.

Here's some torque specs for a 244 Robin
17-18 ft/lbs on the head bolts ( I usually go to 20ft/lbs)..
24-28 ft/lbs on the cylinder.
On the head bolts torque them then wait 10+ minutes and re-torque them.
This should be the torque pattern for the head bolts.
1:00
7:00
5:00
11:00
8:00
3:00

mitch_04

I want the deep cycle for a stereo, not for the cranking part. Any idea where I could find electrical diagrams?

HotRodCarts

Cartaholic
Not that I know of. Maybe someones else knows of someplace. What do you need? You can post in the wanted section here...

mitch_04

Exhaust pipe(not muffler), ignitor(may have found), probably more little things that I haven't thought of or found yet.