Need Advice on EZGO TXT Street Legal

jmathis

Hello,

I'm new to golf carts and my wife wants to buy a used cart. I'm looking on craiglist and there is a nice looking EZ-GO TXT 36v street legal cart for $2200. Nothing nothing about carts is there any thing I should know before driving the cart and if everything seems to be in working order buying it? The pics are good and looks to be in excellent shape. Any advice would be greatly appreciated! Thanks all Jack

HotRodCarts

Cartaholic
The EZGO TXT is a good golf cart. Any idea what year it is? It could be a series or PDS system depending on the year. If it's a PDS cart the forward and reverse switch will be on the dash. Look under the golf cart for rust/corrosion on the rack that holds the batteries. New or newer batteries would be a plus. If the golf cart is clean and doesn't have any issues I would say $2200 would be a fair price considering it's street legal. Welcome to the forum. :hattip:

jmathis

thanks HotRodCarts! It's a 1998 and the fwd/rvs is not on the dash. He reported some service rust. Batteries are 2 years old. Is PDS a good thing?

HotRodCarts

Cartaholic
The PDS golf carts are a little faster stock. Does the golf cart have a run tow switch on the controller cover? If not it's a series cart. If it does it's a DCS system which I'm not a big fan of.

jmathis

Hi Hotrod, there is also a 2012 ez go terrain 250 48v with dump bed that was left overed by dealer and stored new never used. The guy put new batteries in. I offered $4K but he will not take less than $4500. The new ones 2019 are $7K. Any thoughts on that one? It's not street ready.

HotRodCarts

Cartaholic
It really depends on what you plan to do with the cart. If you need the dump bed the EZGO Terrain sounds like a decent deal considering it's never been used and has new batteries.

golfcar2000

Cartaholic
I will throw in my 2 cents in. If it were me and could afford the 2012 terrain and didn't need a rear seat I would get it over the 1998 whether it is DCS or series. A couple plug and play units will put turn signals and brake lights making it street legal.

jmathis

Thanks guys I appriciate the 2 cents. I really like the 2012 dump bed that was never used and willing to spend the extra money. thanks for your help! Jack

jmathis

Hi Hotrodcarts, Below is a pic. $4500 is the lowest he will take for this unused 2012 model. Doesn't seem like a great deal but fair I guess

00m0m_d3QnRxqHkQv_1200x900.jpg

HotRodCarts

Cartaholic
Nice looking cart. Even though it's a 2012 if it's actually new and has new batteries that's not a bad price. I'd be a little curious why it never sold.

dirtysouth

Cartaholic - V.I.P. Sponsor
I know ezgo used to and still might make you Floorplan so many carts. This one could have fallen to the side because not many folks want a flatbed over rear seat.:twocents: OP, you should see if it's new obviously because no wear and tear. Also look around, you can find carts reasonable that might need new batts. As long as the current batts will operate the cart to get a feel that all works as should then pick it up and move on with new batts that you know are new. In my opinion, I would stay away from anything older than 2002. Just my two pennies lol good luck in your search and welcome to Cartaholics, the bestest cart forum on the web:thumbsup:

jmathis

Thanks dirtysouth for weighing in!

Hotrodcarts I did not buy anything yet but the guy did text me back yesterday to say he'd take $4250 as he has no luck selling on the CL. My initial offer was $4k so we are getting close. I'll keep you posted with some pics if I pick her up and still wathcing the CL to get a feel on value and good deals. thanks again!

jmathis

So did you wind up buying the EZGO Terrain jmathis?
Hi HorRodCarts, the seller has agreed to my 4K offer so i'm meeting him sat morning. The report is the batteries are new. Is there a way to tell? date code or something I can look for or am i at the mercy of his honesty?

HotRodCarts

Cartaholic
If the batteries are Trojans they will have a date code on the negative terminals. The code will be a letter and a number like A9 would be January 2019 B9 would be February 2019 etc. Other brands of batteries can have a code stamped into the side of the battery or a sticker with the date.