Need Advice on a Custom Go-Kart

Z71mike

Hey guys - I'm new here. Hoping to get some friendly advice on a project I'm starting.

I'm looking to build a one-seater electric go-kart and figured a golf cart drivetrain would be perfect for it. My twin 2-yr-old daughters will be getting Power Wheels soon, and ripping all around the neighborhood. I don't plan to chase them on foot, so I figured Daddy needs a toy too :)

Requirements:
1 - Can't be gas powered. Neighbors will complain about the noise.
2 - Can't be as big as a golf cart - cops will hassle me for "streetable vehicle", etc. A go-kart still 'looks' like a toy.
3 - Needs to be lifted, slightly. I have a one-acre backyard for the kids to ride when not on the street of our cul-de-sac. So the little tiny racing karts are useless on grass, hills, etc.
4 - Needs to be snappy. I don't need to go over 20mph max, but I want torque for the yard. Burnouts? 8)

Thoughts:
I'm planning a bent/welded simple frame, like the early style from the 60's. Kinda like this: Good Example Frame
I thought about using a 36V system from a golf cart. I think it would be perfect. 48V would be even better, but I don't wanna try to shoehorn FOUR Optima batteries to the back of my seat haha. Three batteries for a 36V system is probably my max. So 36V it is. I'll need the motor, speed control, and any other wiring specifics. I'll probly get a rear axle from a Blaster and just sprocket-adapt the motor to it with a chain drive. Also, can I get some kind of spline shaft for the 36V motor that I can fit a sprocket onto? Hmmm

I want to keep the cost as low as possible. The twins keep my budget tight. So salvage parts are my friend. Need cheap!!!

Anyone have any ideas what make/model cart would be a good donor for this project? Anyone have ideas where I can get used parts? Haven't had much luck searching online.

Thanks folks.
-Mike