Navitas Controller B+ Terminal Melting

Keith4251

1st post I believe. Looking forward to the replies. The Club Car 48 volt electric 2 stage I have has an aftermarket Navitas controller. The controllers B+ post is getting really hot after driving.

Things to consider:
Wires leading from battery to battery are Black 4AWG
Wire leading from B+ on Controller to motor is white (could be 6 AWG, definitely smaller) but is scorched. Maybe it's green?
Bending that wire it sounds crispy/burnt. I smell a burning melting electrical smell when driving for a while.
Batteries are all registering 9.2 so I think they are good to go.
Navitas controller is blinking twice green in neutral, while the cart is charging.

Conclusion, I think I need to replace some small cables that should have been replaced during installation of the controller.

Keith4251

Thanks! The new cables should arrive by next week. I purchased 4AWG Welding grade pure copper. Copper ends and heat shrink. I’ll post before and after pictures as well.

Attachments

• A4FD57A8-0436-41B9-87B6-E088EA9752E0.jpeg
    A4FD57A8-0436-41B9-87B6-E088EA9752E0.jpeg
    73 KB · Views: 19
  • CB0E7EE1-7E85-4594-AFD9-3D49DF940CCF.jpeg
    CB0E7EE1-7E85-4594-AFD9-3D49DF940CCF.jpeg
    72.7 KB · Views: 19
  • 4A95CF6A-84E4-43A5-B6C3-4696CA40738B.jpeg
    4A95CF6A-84E4-43A5-B6C3-4696CA40738B.jpeg
    110.1 KB · Views: 20

Keith4251

***UPDATE***

The 4AWG pure copper cable came in along with the copper ends and heat sink. I was prepared to tackle this today. However, as with many things I attempt to tackle; there are hurdles.

I first looked up battery safety and broke the circuit before working by removing one fo the negative battery cables and set it to the side.
Then I removed the burnt white cable from the solenoid, no issues.
Next I went to the controller and attempted to remove the other end of that cable which is attached to the B+ terminal on the Controller. That terminal turns but it twisted the lug itself within the controller. When I turn the bolt is loosens but it never comes out. I'm stuck and unhappy and not sure what to do now. The controller's are expensive. I put everything back and made sure there is nothing overheating.

Looking for any and all advice on what to do here.

Questions: If it runs tomorrow, I'm wondering if I could just cut off the old ends of wire (dremel) and solder some quick disconnects (new wire and ends) for the wires on the controller? Then replace the run...

The other terminals look like they are fine, I would replace them normally.

I don't know when the navitas controller was purchased but it looked new when I bought the cart last October. Maybe it under warranty? Probably not.

Sadness fills my soul.

Keith4251

Update:
New Controller, 600 amp Navitas, Refurbished $250 shipped. Attempted to install and the bolt on the Motor broke off.

Looking at plum quick replacement motors at this point. Any suggestions on a replacement electric motor for club car with Navitas 600amp controller?

🙏🏼

Keith4251

Checked his site out. The area I live in is very hilly. I have small kids. I don’t really need the speed but if comes with it that would be fine. The key objective is to find a motor that can handle the 600amp controller I have. I don’t want to burn this one up. @Diode would you shoot me a recommendation of motor that would suit my needs?
🙏🏼

Diode

Cartaholic - V.I.P. Sponsor
Why don't you send me your phone number so I can ask some question

Keith4251

I want to thank @Diode for all the help. At the moment, I've reached out to Navitas. The Navitas TSX 3.0 600 controller I have can be configured to work with the D&D motor I purchased and should arrive next week sometime. I spoke with Todd at Navitas and they set me up with the Dealer app which allows me to set the proper parameters for the motor. Looking forward to finally getting this thing up and running again. :grd:

Thanks,
Keith

Keith4251

New controller installed, new motor installed. THE CART IS ALIVE!!!! 🛺

Accelerating uphil with no problem, increased speed and overall performance.

I need to order a temperature gun, the wires are still getting hot. I’m sure it’s normal to some extent but I‘m a bit paranoid.

Next step: wheel and tire package. You guys know a reputable site for 12” wheel and tire packages?

Zman

Cartaholic
Unless you lift it a 205X50X10 is what i would recommend , anything bigger will rub.

Zman

Cartaholic
12 inch with a low profile tire will make the cart ride ruff. stay with a 10 inch wheel. If you lift it then a 12 inch with a 23 inch tire will ride fine. Us old guys notice things like this, I don't know how many customers try a 12 inch wheel with a low profile tire to fit under a std height cart and complain they wished they had never done it.

Keith4251

Hey thanks for the input! I like the look of the low profile tires and rims but don’t want to sacrifice too much ride quality. I’ll keep those things in mind. Pics of the cart coming later today.
Thanks!