NATIONAL GOLF KART RACING ASSOCIATION

HotRodCarts

Cartaholic
I was thinking of building a cart over the winter for next years Bonanza but would like to make it legal for NGKRA also. Right now I'm leaning toward the Outlaw class but I'm considering the Pro class.

The Pro class rules read "Must have golf cart rear end and frame" but then say "Aftermarket Golf Cart Frames Allowed" So can I use a complete home built chassis or do I have to use a golf cart frame?

The Outlaw rules read "Must have started life as a golf cart" but then say "We need to see that you have used some golf kart parts ie: rack, wheels, brakes, rearend etc, Anything else goes" Same question here. Do I need a golf cart frame or am I legal as long as I use one or more of the parts mentioned (rack, wheels, brakes, rearend etc)?

Is there more detailed rules on the Pro and Outlaw classes? If I'm going to build a cart I'd like to build it as close to the edge of the rules as possible but don't want to build a cart that's not legal. The way I read the Outlaw rules is anything goes as long as one or more of the above parts are used but then I see "Must have started life as a golf cart"???

PRO E/G

PRO ELECTRIC E-PRO
PRO GAS G-PRO
Any voltage, aftermarket motor and controller
Any engine, racing fuel
Lift kits allowed
Any tire (brand or size)
Must have golf kart rear end and frame
Rear end and frame can be modified to fit
Aftermarket Golf Kart Frames Allowed
Must have golf kart body (can be modified to fit)
Must have golf kart rear-end
Any rear gears
Any clutch

OUTLAW E/G

OUTLAW ELECTRIC (OUTLAW/E)
OUTLAW GAS (OUTLAW/G)
Must have started life as a golf kart
We need to see that you have used some golf kart parts ie: rack, wheels, brakes, rearend etc
Anything else goes

Gonzo

Tennessee Squire
I was on their site after I saw the banner in some Bonanza pictures. I wrote to them and questioned the example at the bottom of the Rules page. I never heard back. Here is what I questioned:

COMPETITION NUMBER EXAMPLE

• IF YOU HAVE A STOCK ELECTRIC KART AND YOUR NGKRA COMPETITION NUMBER IS 0002 THEN THIS SHOULD BE DISPLAYED ON KART:

SSE/2

• IF YOU HAVE A PRO CLASS GAS KART AND YOUR NGKRA COMPETITION NUMBER IS 0002 THEN THIS SHOULD BE DISPLAYED ON YOUR KART:

PRO/E 2

My question was... shouldn't the Gas class # be PRO/G 2? Who knows I was wrong once.

GarageBuilt

Hey Rod.
I wanted to build a new cart for the out law class also. BJ wanted twin motors on it so he could race with Victor. I was going to build it just like their cart. EZ-Go Rear clip with ez-go rear end mod to hold twin motors. It was going to have a mod stock ez-go front end on it. So far all of this is exactly like theirs. They have a tube frame with a funny car body on it. Now I wanted to take a J/D frame cut off the front & rear clip & weld it to the stock front & rear clip of my ez-go . And that way I would also have a nice body. But I was told that a J/D was not a golf cart. And then I was laugh at for not being able to weld up my own chasse.

Good Luck with your build. You should be fine, as long you don’t question their rules.

HotRodCarts

Cartaholic
I guess the only thing I need to know is what they consider a "After Market Golf Cart Frame".

I sent a comment through their website asking this question a couple of weeks ago but never got a reply so figured I'd ask here. I'd like to know the rules before I start building a cart.

GarageBuilt

When you find out. Please take the time to explain it to me. I just don’t get it. But for now BJ & I are going to be racing with the The National Electric Drag Racing Association (NEDRA). They do have a class for us. We are going to try to make this event.

Kick Gas Festival
October 10, 2009
QuaComm Stadium
San Diego, California

HotRodCarts

Cartaholic
As much as I like electric carts the cart I'd like to build would be a gasser. I'd like to build it within NGKRA rules so if I decide to sell the cart it would be a plus.

Why would you be laughed at for not being able to weld? 90% or more of drag racers have never touched a welder... :dazed:

calllen9

GB, NOT 1 TIME DID ANYONE QUESTION YOUR ABILITY TO WELD OR BUILD A CHASSIS, ALSO ON THE OTHER FORUM YOU FAILED TO MENTION ABOUT CUTTING UP A J/D CHASSIS AND SCABING TO A GOLF CART FRAME IT WAS JUST JR DRAGSTER CHASSIS SO WHAT IS IT REALLY???

GOOD LUCK WITH NEDRA

WALKNTALL

Would a aluminum tube frame be lighter than say a Club Car frame like GB's? If so, not by much I bet... So, whats the part number for a Club Car frame?? Wheres my Club Car parts manual... :D

HotRodCarts

Cartaholic
Here's the reply I got in a PM about the frame rule. I guess this explains it lol. :dazed:

Quote:
"YOU CAN BUILD YOUR OWN FRAME AS LONG AS ITS BASED OFF A GOLF CART. LIGHTWEIGHT, CHROME MOLY, ALUMINUM, WHATEVER IS OK. JUST MUST RESEMBLE A GOLF KART FRAME WHEN FINISHED. MOST EVERYONE HAS MODIFIED EXISTING FRAMES TO DATE. PRO CLASS STILL UTILIZES A GOLF KART REAR END IN CONJUCTION WITH THE GOLF KART FRAME, OUTLAW DOES NOT REQUIRE USE OF A GOLF KART REAR END, BUT MUST HAVE STARTED LIFE BASED ON A GOLF KART DESIGN. THERE ARE A COUPLE OF CO. THAT ARE WORKING ON AFTERMARKET CHASSIS FOR OUR SPORT NOW SHOULD BE OUT SOON..HOPE THIS HELPS...

WE HAVE A GOLF KART RACING ASSN IF WE DONT PUT LIMITS ON IT THEN WHATS THE POINT."
End Quote

GarageBuilt

But I would rather see you build a chassis like mine then to see you build a alum. tube chassis. By the time you get the tube chassis & roll cage strong enough. And no longer than the cart is, it will become to rigged. Its my opinion that as the motor unloads at the line it needs the frame to help transfer the weight of the cart to the rear tires, allowing the cart to hook up and go with out spinning the tires. Well this is what I believe & it is also how I have my cart setup.

The more rigged your frame is .The more H/P you need to make the weight transfer. So why have all that h/p if you cant get it to the ground? Yes there are wheelie bars & traction bars but it all starts with the chassis.

GarageBuilt

I just happen to have a Club Car frame. Willing to trade for slightly used EZ-GO Roll Cage. Well you no what I mean.