My Yamaha G1 is Alive and Well Running Like a Top ...

G-Gaurd

I fixed my timing problem on my Yamaha G1 and it is alive and well and running like a top. I never had the specs for my pulsar coil when I sent it out to get re-wound ... And I didn't know what tolerance I had when I got a repair manual and it said 14 ohms +/- 10% .... When I was machining that +/- 10% made me think it was good if volt meter was reading 04 ohms or 24 ohms .... Any way problem solved motor runs

Now I want more speed ... To go as fast as a G1 can go with stock modifications .... Feels like I'm doing about 12 mph .... Otherwise I got to put a better motor like an old KZ 650

Please let me know

HotRodCarts

Cartaholic
A Yamaha G1 has a bolt in the spring/bracket on the trans, near the air intake hose. The bolt pushes against the spring inside the arm/bracket. Remove the bolt and take the jam nut off of the bolt put the bolt back in and tighten it as far as it will go. You can put a longer bolt on it to put even more pressure on the governor spring if it isn't fast enough with just removing the jam nut.
There is also a way to disable the governor completely but I wouldn't go that route.

G-Gaurd

Awesome ... Sounds great .... But .... Do you think you could send me a photo of the bolt your talking about ?

The air intake hose starts at the filter can and goes to the carburator... I'll wind up pulling the wrong bolt and it with drop into the differential and then I'm screwed

G-Gaurd

Is that the adjusting screw that in the manual it says to increase speed tighten ... And to reduce loosen

Some guy told me to drill out the "d" in the rear end ... Does that sound like a pick up line in a gay bar ? ... Lol

HotRodCarts

Cartaholic
Yes that's the governor adjusting screw. You can drill out the D which will basically eliminate the governor. I'd remove the jam not and tighten the bolt first and see if it's fast enough for you.

Cisgww

Yes that's the governor adjusting screw. You can drill out the D which will basically eliminate the governor. I'd remove the jam not and tighten the bolt first and see if it's fast enough for you.
Please explain what "D" would you be drilling out. trying to build my to-do-list before I start wrenching in 1981 G1. been in family about 35 years and used every year!

HotRodCarts

Cartaholic
The governor bracket has a D shaped hole where it slides on to the shaft. You drill the hole out so it's round and lets the shaft turn in the bracket.

Darrinm67

You might want to read page 2-14 in the service manual before you disable the governor. Specifically take a look at the chart on the bottom of the page. It says anything above 3500RPMs/22km/hr-14mph will “have adverse affect on the generator”. I ran my governor adjustment screw all the way in and my G1–A2 cart runs 19-20mph. After thinking about it and driving it around at that speed for awhile, I am going to adjust it back to around 15mph. No real need for the extra speed since the speed limit is 15mph in our neighborhood and the generators for these carts are very expensive. The stock cart is not really designed for those speeds and requires your full attention to handle.

John Campbell

I fixed my timing problem on my Yamaha G1 and it is alive and well and running like a top. I never had the specs for my pulsar coil when I sent it out to get re-wound ... And I didn't know what tolerance I had when I got a repair manual and it said 14 ohms +/- 10% .... When I was machining that +/- 10% made me think it was good if volt meter was reading 04 ohms or 24 ohms .... Any way problem solved motor runs

Now I want more speed ... To go as fast as a G1 can go with stock modifications .... Feels like I'm doing about 12 mph .... Otherwise I got to put a better motor like an old KZ 650

Please let me know
I found several YouTube videos and completely bypassed my governor.love it!! Friend is local policeman and he clocked me at 23 mph! All stock on engine, for now!!

John Campbell

I found several YouTube videos and completely bypassed my governor.love it!! Friend is local policeman a d he clocked me at 23 mph! All stock on engine, for now!! Replaced carb and have to replace crank seals for better top end and smoother acceleration.
Check YouTube out. Plenty of helpful stuff there