My Home Shop

dirtysouth

Cartaholic - V.I.P. Sponsor
Thought I'd start a thread on this project.
I had my shop built in a hurry when we moved into new house. Long story short, the concrete slab was done horribly.
Lots of high and low spots. The Mrs gave me the go ahead to have the shop re poured. Going to put 3-1/2" on top of existing and
use this rust-oleum coating on new slab. Have to replace man door with swing out door and have them form pockets around garage doors.
I'll take pics as I go along. Have to rent a pod or two to empty shop and gotta store two of the four cars in front garage and put two back at All Sports for a week or so.
Fun fun fun! Should be bad ass when finished. Looking forward to ideas from y'all ,good, bad and jokes.
Thanks in advance, Steve

golfcar2000

Cartaholic
What type of construction is the current walls, wooden framing attached directly to the wavy concrete, or attached to a row of concrete blocks or poured walls, pole barn type constructed? Busting it up and starting fresh to much of a job or out of the question? I once raised a section of floor and regretted it door knobs, light switches, and electrical plugs typically a foot from floor all seemed low and awkward. Just my 2 :twocents:

Nubs

Cartaholic - V.I.P.
watchdrama8jm_1.gif

dirtysouth

What type of construction is the current walls, wooden framing attached directly to the wavy concrete, or attached to a row of concrete blocks or poured walls, pole barn type constructed? Busting it up and starting fresh to much of a job or out of the question? I once raised a section of floor and regretted it door knobs, light switches, and electrical plugs typically a foot from floor all seemed low and awkward. Just my 2 :twocents:
Slab with stick built walls and vaulted trusses. The man door will be the only awkward part, it will be a step up 3-1/2". The outlets are surface mount and probably 42-48" off floor. There's a small addition at the back that won't be raised so that'll be a step down. Don't see any bad by doing this. You can't see in pics how bad floor is but it's bad enough that you can feel it walking around lol

HotRodCarts

Cartaholic
I was pissed off when I had my concrete work done. I specifically told them I wanted my floor level with no pitch toward the overhead doors. The contractor say's you'll wish it had a pitch in the winter when the snow melts of your cars. I told him I'm not building the garage to park my daily drivers in and he said okay I'll make sure its it level. Well guess what they pitched it toward the doors and I hate it. They did a super nice job but the pitch sucks. I thought about having it redone but I just deal with it. I've got so much stuff in there now it would be a major pain in the ass.

Nubs

Cartaholic - V.I.P.
will the garage doors get remounted, so there will be a ramped approach? i don't get it Lol

dirtysouth

40872A4C-F0B3-459B-ADFA-D4D87B343BE8.jpeg5A9D490D-C159-4D35-B3E6-0A51AE574A55.jpegBB507A24-CBB1-4F1B-A489-6623BF969E6D.jpeg

Can’t see much cause of all the :censored: in there lol. Never actually got set up. Just moved everything inside and started working on yard and house. Should be a whole new world in there when we’re done. Wife promised to help organize lol. Had a loose ac line so had repair guys out today. Low on Freon. Good to go now. Figure a north’s worth of work evening and weekends.

Diode

I’ve got an idea how about throwing some heating or cooling coils down and then just floating at the floor with the real liquidy Concrete and that way you can heat and cool the slab

golfcar2000

Cartaholic
Looks like part or all walls are sheetrock/drywall, are you concerned the pressure of concrete will bow/bust the sheetrock?

dirtysouth

I’ve got an idea how about throwing some heating or cooling coils down and then just floating at the floor with the real liquidy Concrete and that way you can heat and cool the slab
24000 split unit does awesome at heating and cooling.

dirtysouth

Looks like part or all walls are sheetrock/drywall, are you concerned the pressure of concrete will bow/bust the sheetrock?

Don't think it'll be a problem. Concrete guy didn't say anything. They'll put tar paper on walls and cut flush when Crete is set.

HotRodCarts

Cartaholic
Anyone I know that's pored a concrete slab over an existing one has problems with it cracking. It could be from the drastic weather changed we have in Illinois but it's something to think about. I've also seen companies that resurface existing slabs. Depending on how bad your floor is that might be an option. :dazed:

dirtysouth

Anyone I know that's pored a concrete slab over an existing one has problems with it cracking. It could be from the drastic weather changed we have in Illinois but it's something to think about. I've also seen companies that resurface existing slabs. Depending on how bad your floor is that might be an option. :dazed:
I had it done to a smaller shop done years ago with no issues. It got hairline cracks but I have yet to see concrete not Crack in Florida