My First Lifted Car Project

Bob-o

Well, I posted this at another place, but here is the whole thing wrapped into one
newlaugh.gif

The start:
Carb078.jpg

Carb088.jpg

New Ideas I had:
Carb076.jpg

Carb075.jpg

Carb074.jpg

Carb085.jpg

Carb093.jpg

Carb094.jpg

Carb095.jpg

Carb098.jpg

Carb096.jpg

I recovered these, and I was really happy how they came out... first time with this type:
Carb113.jpg

Carb116.jpg

Carb117.jpg

The front drop axle after installation and the new boots
Carb105.jpg

This is how it sits today
biggrin.gif

Carb118.jpg

Carb121.jpg

Carb120.jpg

Carb119.jpg

Carb122.jpg

I still have to pinstripe the back of the car, but It sure is cool to see how far it's come.

Bob

Bob-o

Hi HRC,

Thank you... no wonder you guys like lifted cars. The build is just rediculously fun.

I bought those wheels like that. They came from a place in your neck of the woods... out of lictchfeild (spelling maybe?).

Bob

HotRodCarts

Cartaholic
Litchfield is a little south of here. TNT Golf Car is in that area.

Is the engine stock?

Keep us updated on your project
cool.gif

Bob-o

The engine is stock, for the most part. I am using a slightly larger main jet, and Dad showed me how to put the older valve springs with new style keepers on. It has a 3PG drive clutch, and a 28deg driven. Other than that, it is stock.

The wheels didn't come from there. I'm not sure of the forum rules, so you can delete this if it violates them. They came from Gateway Wheel & Tire.

Have a great one,
Bob

HotRodCarts

Cartaholic
It sounds like it should be a strong running cart. And it looks good to.
biggrin.gif

Don't worry about posting links or company names here. The more information we can give the better.

Fairlane

Nice job Bob. It's looking good. By the way, there is a nice hedder and pipe for the EZGO motor. Get with Frank, I think he has them. You have already upsized the jet so it should help the performance some. Again, NICE job.

Glen

Nice accents on a stock colored cart. It goes to show that you don't need custom paint to have a nice clean ride.

Have you thought about painting the lheadight inserts red? It would either be too much or really set it off.

Bob-o

Thank you guys
biggrin.gif
. This is the first lifted car that I've built. I have had my moments, but I've been very fortunate to have the help/guidance from my dad. He used to work for E-Z-GO (and is considering taking them up on their recent offer).

I learned about the importance of centering the steering rack before disassembling the front end
wallbash.gif
, also, don't trust your hand hold on the engine... you'll end up with stitches
rolleyes.gif
, and never say - oh sh*(& unless you mean it... I've never had that many people around me so quickly before.

I'm pleased to say, the owner doesn't want any of the extra trim items I had originally planned on. The owner wants a matching rear seat... and you can't get the rear seats pre-covered from E-Z-GO. So I finally get to tear off brand new seat covers and install matching seat covers on them
newlaugh.gif
... there is just something about taking new stuff apart and customizing it
biggthumpup.gif

I'll be sure and get pictures of it. I finished the rear pinstripes... that is my favorite thing to do. A while back, I posted pictures of some of the designs that I had come up with... I can't find it now
unsure.gif

These lifted cars are not only a awesome project, but their darn practical too. The best part is getting to stand back, and think about what you want the car to become, and then seeing it come to fruition.

Thank you all for the kind words.... I have to admit, it kinda stinks when people at the other place belittle new owner's that buy their cars from dealers that way. Its people like myself that build them... our hearts are in the same place.... well, mine's at about 8,000 feet in a Beechcraft... but at least this job helps me pay for my flight time
biggthumpup.gif

Bob

Fairlane

Very well said. Bob I think your comments have earned you a whole lot of respect and a few new friends also. Not everyone is mechanically talented enough to accomplish this sort of task. That doesn't mean they are not worthy of owning one or sharing in the joy of driving one. Like me, If I were not able to do it myself I would hate to think how much $$$$$ it would have cost me. I have over 13K invested in mine with me doing all the work except the paint. Sorry for highjacking your thread I'll get out of here. Congrats Bob. A job well done.

Glen

OlBoy

Bob-o Hows the E-Z-GO coming along? I noticed you mentioned your dad considering a offer from EZGO whats that about?

Bob-o

Hi,

The car is coming along very well. We are putting the rear seat conversion on, specifically it is called a convertible carrier (flip-flop). The owner decided to not get all the other accessories for it. It's going to be a neighborhood car, and will hardly ever see dirt. So he opted for the rear seat with matching seat covers.

I'll try to get some pictures of the progress tomorrow. I have finished the rear seat back. The new foam makes a huge difference in how well the cover fits. I had to stretch the tar out of the front seat covers for them to fill correctly.

Dad used to work for E-Z-GO on a part-time basis in the R&D department. He had a heart attack in '95 and just couldn't do it anymore. He said it knocked so much out of him, and he just couldn't do the same things he used to be able to do. With me being 13 then and my sister at 14, he wanted to be able to keep going to all our activities... flying and whatnot made him almost too tired to go. They left him a standing offer to work in the R&D department. One of the guys stopped by about 1 1/2 ago and talked to him. They want him to come and work on designing a new system (I don't know if I can say what it was about... I never asked
unsure.gif
). They offered him a full time job with beni's, and moving fee's payed. That is what he's considering.... with me either going into the Air Force or taking the Commuter side, He's debating offering the company to one of my sister's and her husband (3 sisters in all... 2 step sisters... yes I'm the baby
newlaugh.gif
)

Bob

Keyguy

Overworked, underpaid :o) R.I.P.
Bob-O,
Very clean professional looking job!
Something to be proud of which brings up this question.
biggrin.gif

Do you "sign" your work?
If not, you should!
cool.gif

Jimmy B.

Bob-o

Thank you Mr. Keyguy
biggrin.gif
. It has taken me longer than what most people take on these things, but I've only been working on golf cars for 3 years, and this was my first lifted car. Even with my "moments", I try hard to make sure that everything is perfect... borderline manic compulsive LOL...j/k j/k.

I sign all my work with an inconspicuous company sticker
newlaugh.gif
. Actually, I don't LOL... but thats a thought
cool.gif

I found some of the other pinstripe design's that I've done. I have a bunch more, but these are the one's that I get asked to do the most.

Here is a triple stripe that I did on a New Light Almond Pearl Car:
2005_0402Jan050084.jpg

This one takes a while, lots of matching and I used my favorite colors for this one
biggthumpup.gif

2005_0402Jan050060.jpg

Not finished in this pic:
2005_0402Jan050055.jpg

A couple of cars before putting them on the "line":
2005_0615april060046.jpg

Simple color combo with a little something I do to the tires:
2005_0615april060049.jpg

2005_0615april060054.jpg

My Favorite one, I painted these... first time I used a paint gun
biggrin.gif
:
2005_0714april060099.jpg

Here is the car that inspired the designe of this car. I did the rear just like this one, but with only a double instead of quad stripes.
2005_0625april060061.jpg

2005_0625april060062.jpg

2005_0625april060063.jpg

I'll get the new pictures of 'Commander Carlson" up tommorrow... after I take them LOL.

Oh, and I named it Commander Carlson because of a funny at the shop. Mom was reading the paper about horses that won at Oklawn Park in Hot Springs. When she came to Commander Carlson, it struck me.... Raise your arm, make a fist with your index finger pointing up.... and say... Here comes COMMANDER... say slowly for supension... CARLSON
newlaugh.gif
newlaugh.gif
newlaugh.gif

Bob-o

I finished it
biggrin.gif
. It left for it's new home shortly after I finished the rear seat conversion. Man, what a fun project... but I miss it a lot already, and It hasn't even been a whole day
rolleyes.gif

Here it is just before being loaded up:
Carb130.jpg

Carb131-1.jpg

Carb132-1.jpg

Hopefully, I'll get to do another one very soon. I won't share it, only because I'm sure I'll get to build more of these. This one just holds a special place in my heart as the first one. Thank you for taking the time to view these pictures, and I hope you enjoyed them.

Bob

HotRodCarts

Cartaholic
WOW, That cart turned out REAL nice Bob...
cool.gif
Hey you can share as many of your builds as you want here, we won't complain...
biggrin.gif

Bob-o

Thank you Mr. Rod It is really great to hear what you guys have to say about it... good or bad. I don't get to deal with many customers... per boss policy... I'm just an employee who is there to work, and they don't want customers to feel like they can stop me in the middle of something to answer a question (they want to deal with the customers). So, strange as it may sound... of all the people that looked at it for the short time we had that car, I never got to hear what anyone thought of it.

I have to admit... I really, really enjoyed building it. I was just affraid that if I posted other builds, people might think I'm on an ego trip. I'm far from that, I am actually a quiet, shy kinda guy that is honestly surprised that you all like how the car looks. There are many owners on here with fantastic cars, and after seeing those... I thought that both here and at the other place people would more or less say "Isn't that Lovely" (Which most know means... I couldn't give a rats ....).

So it means a lot to me to hear any comments, because I wouldn't have known either way, if it wasn't for you guys taking the time to look and say what you thought.

Thank you all
Bob

Grizzley

UH-OH... Sounds like Bob has caught the bug!!! He will soon be the proud owner of the most tricked out, lifted and blinged cart on the site. Just wait and see. Bob-0, once you get it, there is no cure!!! So you might as well just enjoy it. I also had the pinstripping bug at one time too, the older members might remember what they called the "wedge" look. I did that to my Red 68 Chevelle with white pinstripping. To me, it looked awesome! But a few others had a few choice comments. So that happens no matter what you do. Keep up the great work and dont forget to post pics!
biggthumpup.gif

Gregg