3. Alltrax 4855

4. HD buss bars and Forward & Reverse Contact Studs

5. 2 Deka GC10 Batteries

Am I forgetting anything?

Andy4639

That's about it except for the charger!
thumbup.gif

Otter

Andy, I saw a way that gornoman rigged his battery bank to be charged with a standard 36v powerwise charger and a 12v automotive charger. That is the way I'm going to charge mine until I can get a 48v charger. Those are pretty pricey.

Otter

Gorno, I already got my solenoid its a stancor/ white rodgers #586 48v. can I still use it with your charging system?

gornoman

Otter, I don't think so. The control circuits on my cart (key, solenoid, reed switch, battery gauge) are only seeing 36v. A 36v signal to a 48v solenoid may not be enough to engage it. It won't hurt to try it however. There is never a danger applying lower voltage to a component. Let us know if it works.

Otter

Gorno, How do you have your stuff wired to have your control circuit only see 36v. did you accomplish it just by moving the white charging wire upstream to + battery 3.

I got my solenoid from a local supply shop that let me take it back. So I'm going to wire my cart like yours.

I was looking at all my wires and I notice that there are 4 wires coming from my pot box. What kind of pot box do I have, ITS or 0-5k? and will I need all these wires when I put the Alltrax 4855 in.

On the stock controller there is plug that connects all the wires from the potbox and some other wires. I assume that there will not be a plug like that on the Alltrax contloller. Will the controller come with a wiring diagram?

gornoman

Otter, the short version is yes, by moving the white charge wire upstream to battery #3 my circuits stayed at 36v. The only other wires I moved were for my 12v tap, but that is a totally isolated circuit and does not play in this.

I assume you have an ITS. I would need to research your cart specs (year, system) to confirm.

The Alltrax will accomodate all 4 control wires, but the molded plug will need to be cut off of the E-Z-Go harness and be replaced with individual insulated spade connectors.

I purchased my controller secondhand so I had to visit their website and download some stuff. Hookup was easy, but take your time and don't guess. Doing it wrong gets very expensive.

Otter

Gorno, First thing, let me say that your help is greatly appreciated. My cart is a pre june 2001 series cart. I don't have a 12v tap for my 12v stuff. I installed a marine deep cell under the drivers side of my seat. I also put in a fuse block on the inside of the rear fender well under the drivers side to handle all my 12v accessories, that way I can add more stuff easily.

I am also getting my Alltrax 2nd hand but in very good shape. I can get a 4855 for under $400 or a 4865 for under $500. If I can fly the extra funds "under the radar" then I'm going for the 600 amps
twisted.gif
twisted.gif

biggrin.gif
I pull a trailer full of partying bikers at the Virginia Beach Bike Classic in the campground every year and as we travel around the place, more and more and more drunk asses get on. When it stalled this year I immediately stopped, got off, and counted. Between my cart and the trailer there were 26 people in varying states of drunkeness. Let me say that most of them were not very happy about having to walk. All that said, more torque will not hurt.

gornoman

Dude, you need a Cummins for that duty! I'm surprised the controller didn't just pop right then and there.

As for my wiring, every thing was checked with a multimeter before I ever tried to move the cart. As a last safety effort I rolled the chassis out in the street before stepping lightly on the gas to move the cart forwards and backwards. Only then did I put the seat on and drive away, FTTF.

I have been smiling ever since.
thumbup.gif

BTW, your cart has an ITS.

Otter

Thanks.

That night I waited about 30 minutes before driving the cart. The controller and solenoid were very hot. It's been fine since then though. I just need more performance.

Roger. ITS