Motor misses a beat ?

Southerncomfort

Cartaholic
I think it's normal as I've heard many a side valve "lawnmower" type motors do this.
But after my 91 341cc warms up good it has this thing where it skips a beat in firing.. I laugh and say it's trying to do Morris Code.
Not really bad but every few seconds it seems to fail to ignite or something.
Is this totally normal of is there a simple fix for it ?

Southerncomfort

Cartaholic
I tried to get a video of it but the Mic just wouldn't pick it up well enough.
But it's just as I described, at low rpm it's pop pop pop Blank pop pop pop.
Can't tell if the govener is going back and forth, miss fire or a fuel problem or it's just the way it runs ?
Guess if it bothers me enough I'll take the carb off and clean it real good.

Southerncomfort

Cartaholic
If it does it at higher rpms I can't really tell, but I think it does as I can tell up to mid range, then I guess it's spinning fast enough it rolls on over without much of a stud'r...

If I could take the access panel off and drive it and watch the govener arm without crashing I could eliminate that one.

Southerncomfort

Cartaholic
Never tried that
But after driving it more today I'm starting to think it's the govener pulling it back, then peps back up and so on. Like surging but a bit more of a stumble making it sound like it's cutting off then back on.
Now when I floor it, it just goes and sounds smooth. But as I've said in another thread it starts to slow down.
I'll try and take the govener loose and see if it just thumps along all nice like or still does it.

Southerncomfort

Cartaholic
Yes.. checked to make sure the pulleys worked smoothly. But didn't notice a skip then or it wasn't doing then.
Will try here in a bit.

Southerncomfort

Cartaholic
Welp I did a bad thing... haha
Disconnected the govener.. thing runs like a champ. Hit the rev limiter on the first hard pull but never again, got the feel of the RPM range and can keep it just under the limiter.
On flat roads it doesn't slow back down like before, thumping at a walking pace down the trail it stays smooth. Only thing is, now the throttle is a bit touchy and short. I'll get that sorted out so I can have a longer peddle throw.
I never wanted faster, but to Keep the speed it started out with and to have a more direct peddle to throttle response. It fixed that and the slow speed stumble.
But yeah I know I need to stay below the limiter but dang this thing picks up and goes good now.
Love it..

HotRodCarts

Cartaholic
You could try a spring on it. Be careful those old Club Car engines won't take high RPM well and vibrate into pieces if run to hard. :twocents:

Southerncomfort

Cartaholic
Yeah I may end doing a throttle stop and just keep the RPMs low.. But it definitely feels so much better.
Now to rig up a hand throttle and ditch the stick I've been useing... Lol

pbillyi69

Cartaholic
i have mine set with the governor adjusted a little more than the book calls for and its perfect i checked it with my tach while driving it will still go past the high rpm range but i can keep it down a bit on flat ground but it really helps going uphill you said you don't have a book im not sure if there is one here in the stickies or not but i think there is though rod has a done great job assembling a very useful resource section. if not pm me me and i will make copies of those pages for you. you have to adjust the pedal throttle linkage and governor all together for them to work right

pbillyi69

Cartaholic
my other one didnt work like it was supposed to and when i went to make changes found some worn out parts replace them and wala worked great

Southerncomfort

Cartaholic
Well I'm thinking up a plan to use a lawnmower throttle and cable hooked directly to the carb. Going to split the seat into two parts and make a center console to mount it, rig up a ignition switch and starter button and do away with the start with gas everytime, make it idle.
Long gear shift type stick coming up out of the floorboard hooked to the brake cables.
Redneck hand controls ya know. Lol