Motor and Controller Upgrade In which order?

Skkreat

New to the boards here and carts in general, so be kind
unsure.gif
OK, so I want to upgrade the motor and controller ASAP. I just put 6 new 6v batteries in this March. Problem is, tax return is a ways off. So, can I do piece work? Do I have to replace both the motor and controller at the same time? I've got a set of 6:1 gears in the shed that I scalped off another cart I can put in, but my cart is also a 6 seater. (Need some torque. Used mostly around the Ft Wilderness Campground on concrete.) Plan on keeping a 36v system... at least for now.

That being said, is there a motor, controller, or both that can be used on both 36v and 48v systems? What's the recommendation? Looking for at least 20mph speed option with enough torque to carry 3 adults and multiple smalll children. Doesn't have to be the Cadillac system, but I'd prefer it to not be a Pinto one either. (No offense if you own a Pinto.) What else would I need to upgrade at the same time as another part? I think I've got 6 guage cables across the board currently and everything else electronically is stock. Just looking for a starting point and the beginning of a good Christmas list. Thanks.

MrWicked

Cartaholic - R.I.P.
welcome to the forum

if it was my cart i would do the 7/11 advance dc motor with a 650amp alltrqx controller

lots of torque its 7 hp on 36 volt about 23-25 mph

11hp on 48 volts 30mph

you will also need a HD forward and reverse
HD solinoid
at least 4g cables but recommand 2g cables

Nubs

Cartaholic - V.I.P.
puttin' down the pintos who do you th...........
rotflmao.gif
just jokin' wit ya,

Welcome
tip.gif
usaflag1.gif

Skkreat

Thanks for the quick reply. Do you have a part # on the 7/11? Where do I look for one?

Also, can I do piece work? Just the motor or controller to start? Would it hurt anything? And what parts MUST be replaced at the same time? Thanks.

-Steve

dougmcp

I agree with MrWicked, a limo cart is heavy and loaded up you will need the high amp controller and 2ga cables. I would not use the 6:1 gears on that cart, too much torque loss for that type of vehicle.

Pinto with a Jake's lift.........
rotflmao.gif
rotflmao.gif

LoriPinto.jpg

Nubs

Cartaholic - V.I.P.
rotflmao.gif

i been wantin' to post that i have done one of those before but i kept laughin' and would walk away
rotflmao.gif

at least i'm tryin'
dazed053.gif
wallbash.gif

Skkreat

Appreciate the info Doug. I'll probably work on a regular cart next after I finish this one and use the gears there. We've got @ 6 carts in the yard b/t me and my father-in-law that we bought @ auction. I've googled the 7/11 motor but all I'm finding is parts for them. Can anyone tell me where to look?

MrWicked

Cartaholic - R.I.P.
i dont have a good source of Adance DC motors anymore....

the guy that builds my race motors built the first 7/11 motor and avcance dc put it in mass production.... i will get a price if he converts your motor.....

i havent used just a controller on a stock series motor but i have been told it will gain torque but not speed...

alltrax advises agains just a controller up grade on a series motor

Skkreat

Thanks for lookin
thumbup.gif
So Alltrax says no to controller only, but what @ motor only to start? Like I said, tryin to suck up to the wife for Christmas... hoping it pays off. Plus tax return's a ways away.

Married + 4 kids =
dazed053.gif
$$$

MrWicked

Cartaholic - R.I.P.
alltrax dosnt like it but HOTROD says he has done it many times and it gives you more torque

i just havent tried it...

HotRodCarts

Cartaholic
I've never had Alltrax tell me upgrading to a higher amp controller is a problem with a stock series motor. I have had them tell me not to go higher than 400 amps on DCS or PDS carts with a stock motor. I haven't talked with anyone from Alltrax in a couple years but I see no reason why higher amps on a stock series motor would be a problem. Most of the EZGO hunting carts I've built I've used a 650 amp Alltrax and a stock motor on a lot of them and never had any issues. Just make sure you go with at least 4 gauge cables every where, HD buss bars in the f/r switch and a HD solenoid like a White Rodgers 586 and you should be fine.

MrWicked

Cartaholic - R.I.P.
hey hotord thats why i said you have done this and liked it....

i spoke with Tony at alltrax .. i asked him i have my choice of a PDS or Series carts to build and just a controller upgrade...

he didnt like that idea on any series , dcs or pds... for just a controller upgrade....

i have done it many times on PDS and love it.... on a pds you get more torque and mph with the controller up grade...

ill do it on aseries cart some day when its one cart and a local guy....

my customer wants one limo and one 4 seater for some hilly area up in the bay area about 500 miles away... i want to build what i know and have done before....

HotRodCarts

Cartaholic
On a series cart you'll get an increase in torque but no increase (or very little if any) in speed with just a controller upgrade with a stock motor.