Melex Golf Cart Speed Control Arm

Tuffy

I have an older Melex golf cart. I checked motor it is good. Bought new solenoid & got new batteries. The speed control arm has broke in half off of the wiper. I cant find a new speed control arm anywhere or get it off the piece of control arm thats leftover. Im pretty sure that the control board is still good? But it is way expensive to replace them all. Or they don't make the whole assembly anymore or not available. I don't want to sell the golf cart but its coming to that point. Any cost effective ideas or input would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

HotRodCarts

Cartaholic
I don't think you can buy the speed control arm separately. Is the speed control arm metal or plastic? You could weld it if it's metal.

Tuffy

No it is made from wood. Kind of like partial board, or chip board. Same as one for a H-D resistor model cart. I found one on vintage carts for like $40.00. I decided to make my own. So I have since fixed that issue. So thank you for the reply. I would not be as close too finishing or getting this cart up to par. If it wasn't for the Cartaholics & the members help. I appreciate all the help I've gotten from everyone here. I am now in need of replacing the contacts for the speed control board. Going to see if I can find them at local hardware store? Otherwise they are $15 each online. I would make a mold & melt down copper & make them myself before paying that much for a set of 5 contacts. I have enough copper to do that. But if I can find them today, when I go out to look to see if I can get something similar cheaper? The last thing I will possibly need to do is replace some of the cables or wires (I really think I'm better off replacing them its easy enough?) Then I should be all set to turn the key & roll it on the courses, or around the neighborhood? I will paint & pretty her up a bit also. But I will post pics of it before & afters soon. Thanks again for the help. Very much appreciated.

Tom mcmicken

Just purchased a 2001 melex cart, has only one herky jerky speed, there appears to be under the seat in the middle somthing simular to a throttle position sensor that has a very short ramp activated by the acc pedal asm. From what I have read thus far it appears as no replacements are not available and it's best to fabricate my own. I have no idea what it should look like, where might I find a picture and better yet a voltage chart to adjust as necessary. TIA.

Tom mcmicken

Pulled the magic box out today, found the externally mounted micro switch that I believe lights up the power solenoid, took the cover off of the arm and found a variable resistor that looks like it may have been stolen out of a 1950 Emerson tv. Pictures to follow, note the part numbers on the resistor.

Attachments

• 20210407_160804.jpg
    20210407_160804.jpg
    92.9 KB · Views: 4
  • 20210407_160750.jpg
    20210407_160750.jpg
    82.9 KB · Views: 4

Zman

Cartaholic
Looks like a standard Curtis pot and and the old style roller switch, i don't see where the arm is broken. You should be able to purchase both parts aftermarket, Nivel # 795 for the roller switch and # 475 for the potentiometer.